Chapter 39: Spring of Courage

"Where the dragon's mouth meets the serpent's jaws / A shrine sleeps in the forest with noble cause."

*

Princess Zelda slowly plodded through the deep water, her delicate hands knotted in despair and sadness reflecting in her gaze. The weight of her white dress dragged her downward, engulfing her up to her waist. As she reached the grand goddess statue, Impa and Terrako stood nearby the shoreline, both holding an expression of fear and concern. Link was in the distance, looking away from the trio, anxiety brimming on his face. Impa's palm rested on her chest, her eyes fixed on the Princess while she toiled through the cold lake.

"I will do whatever I can, as I am right now..." In the still of the night, Zelda heard her voice reverberate in the atmosphere. Looking up to the sculpture of the Goddess, she observed the eroding crevices that laced through its solid figure, along with the two majestic fox sculptures that flanked it. With this serene vision still imprinted in her mind, she ventured further, "even if all I have to give is my faith that things will work out. This is the thread that I have been following all this time."

Halting before the breathtaking collection of sculptures, Impa gazed in wonderment. The magnificent Goddess statue and her fox-like attendants had remained untouched for centuries, yet the signs of age were beginning to show; thick moss blanketed their weathered exteriors. Impa's countenance held a touch of worry.

"Even so...all of the research into the relics—if I cannot awaken my power completely—will have been in vain," she sighed. Terrako beeped at the girls words, only to be kicked gently by Impa. Zelda glanced down into the water, "everyone else...is carrying out their duties with such grace. I am the only one who— who cannot live up to her own potential..."

"Princess Zelda..." Impa sighed, her hands crossed over her stomach. She glanced to the ground, before quickly taking a step forward, "why not— let's go take a break somewhere! I've gotten really...uh— suddenly I'm really hungry!"

Terrako beeped in response, running around Impa's feet. Zelda turned to face her, her eyes avoiding her piercing gaze, "Impa...there's just— no more time..."

"But Princess—"

Link drew his blade and shield with a quick motion and fixed his gaze on the entrance of the concealed shrine. Impa and Zelda spun in response to the rolling of approaching footsteps, Link's blade glittering in the pale moonlight. His eyes settled upon the sea of monsters charging forward, an amalgam of Moblins, Bokoblins, Lizalfos and Wizzrobes. Tainted Guardians had come among them, each harbouring a mysterious malevolent force, and their lasers scanned the terrain, hunting for something to annihilate.

Impa halted the Princess with a lifted arm, while Link retreated to them, getting ready to fight. "Look out! There's an enemy to our right!" she cried out, sending her dagger with pinpoint accuracy right into the bokoblin's skull. It quivered, before evaporating into a puff of lavender. Then Impa steadied her gaze on the mob of monsters scrabbling in through the doorway. Her body adjusted to a more combative position while Link assumed a defensive one. "Why're there monsters here?" Impa spoke, defending Zelda with her daggers, "oh well, in any case, all we do is push them back."

"I will fight too. I would rather be an asset than a hinderance," Clapping her hands together, Zelda fished her Sheikah slate out of her waistband. Impa gave her a worried look before eventually giving in with a sigh. Both watched as Link fended off the onslaught, quickly dispatching the foes with swift slashes of his sword.

"Princess, you must be exhausted from training," Impa grasped Zelda's hands, ducking as she flung bombs towards the enemies, "please, don't overburden yourself."