Chapter 24: The Princess, The Lord, The King

Unedited

What does freedom really mean when demanded of you by a god?

In the perpetual meantime of sheltered eternity, most are content to live, and not to dream. But in the hidden corners where the gods' gaze do not fall, there are those who dream of dreaming.

So what does freedom really mean when demanded by a god?

*

The sky was beautiful this time of day; an early sunrise peeked over the mountain tops as if it were playing hide-and-seek with the moon. But today, it seemed far more magnificent with its gorgeous hues of orange, yellow, and purple that would drown out the night sky.

Kohga glanced out the window, having awoken just in time for the stunning sunrise. His face was still pressed into something soft, and the coolness of the body beneath him eased his hungover state.

He stared up at you silently, his face lying on your plump chest. Your snores were quiet, but just loud enough for him to hear. Such a peaceful morning to spend with his arms wrapped tightly around you. It was so surreal; it was like he was living in an endless dream.

Though, when he laid the side of his head back to your chest, he heard nothing. It was as if your chest was hollow, with no beating of a single heart. Maybe fox envoys didn't bear beating hearts?

Oh well, you were peacefully sleeping, so he guessed you had already known something about it. It didn't help that he too, would fall back into a deep slumber if he continued using your breasts as his personal pillows. So with a stretch, he rolled over to the other side of the bed, letting out a yawn.

He stared at your peaceful expression with a smile and brushed a tuft of hair out of your face, resting his palm against your cheek. As usual, your skin was still cold to the touch, perhaps that was why he didn't have a headache from all the alcohol he drank the night before.

"Well, good morning, sweetheart," he mumbled quietly into your ear, kissing your cheek moments after. Though you didn't answer, you smiled groggily and held his hand gently. You would have adored this view of the sunrise, but he left you to sleep peacefully. Usually, you were the one to wake him up in the morning; so this was a strange change of pace.

With another stretch, Kohga swung himself up and sat on the edge of the bed. He wasn't nauseous, or even hungover; he felt great! Whatever remedy you had used must have done the trick.

"M-mhm...Kohga? What are you doing, darling...?" Your voice mumbled as you rolled over slowly, still half-asleep. He gasped at the name, wondering if you'd realised.

"Hey, hey, go back to sleep, sweetheart," Kohga hushed, shifting closer to you. You yawned in response; it seemed you weren't fully aware of what the time was exactly, or where you were. But still, you smiled at him with such radiance, your gentle touch pressing against his skin as you slid your hand beneath his mask, cupping his cheek.

"Are you gonna come back to bed...?" you asked softly, your eyes drooping to a close, "you're warm..."

He smiled beneath the mask, holding your hand that ran across the scars beneath the mask, "I'm not going anywhere, anytime soon, sweetheart."

You smiled again at his genuine words and began to fall back into a deep slumber, your snores echoing around the room. He gently placed your hand back down beside you, your touch lingering over his scars. So cold, yet so soft.

With a sigh, he quietly sat against the wall, a book appearing in hand. Regardless of meeting with the Seer, all he truly craved at the moment was some peace with you. And it was strange, as he read through the lines in the light novel, your body scooted closer to him. You craved his warmth.