Chapter 38: Electric Barrage

Spider Lilies.

Legends of a flower shrouded in darkness had been circulating for centuries. It was said to bring bad luck and ill omens, but there were those who believed the flower was the flower of farewell. It was given to those leaving their home, often to never return. The petals were a deep and mesmerising hue, both alluring and mysterious. The story behind the flower was as haunting as it was beautiful. It was believed that the flower signified death and rebirth - a last goodbye before departing on a journey of unknown outcome. Every bloom brought with it the message that life, however uncertain, would go on.

Some would adorn their clothing or hats with the flower, allowing the petals to delicately flutter as they left for their destination. Those who found their way home returned with a reminder that though things change and times pass, death and rebirth are part of life's natural cycle. Though tales of the flower of farewell and death had circulated for many centuries, its history and significance were nearly forgotten until one day, a blooming flower emerged, strong and vibrant as if it had never left the hearts and minds of its admirers.

The vivid, radiant red flower crumbled to pieces in your grasp as its life faded away, with the same fate happening to the rest of its kind that marked your footsteps, quickly fading and disintegrating into the soil.

"Sweetheart! Over here!"

Suddenly, the lilies vanished and Kohga's voice rang through the air, prompting a smile to form on your face. At the other side of the bridge stood two Yiga; Kohga flailed his arms with intensity, ensuring that you were able to make them out.

"Sweetheart! You can see us, right?" Kohga bellowed, stifling loud giggles from you at the other end of the bridge, "Sooga! Lift me up! I don't think she can see us!"

"I can see you, love," you suddenly blinked before him. He jumped back with fright, his cheeks dusting red as you laughed.

"How did it go with the King?" Sooga asked, a hand resting on your shoulder, "what of the Prince?"

Your eyes shifted downward as you inhaled a deep breath, puffing your cheeks. The entire trek from the domain, you were unaware of the trembling of your unsteady hands. "It was...good. Surprisingly," you sighed with relief, "we talked. Like we always do."

"And...?"

"And...I said goodbye," you smiled forcefully, clasping your hands together as you glanced back at the Domain, "what we're doing could very well restrict me from this world. It's best I leave on good terms rather than bad."

It was evident that you weren't particularly keen to discuss the topic at hand. As your frame contorted and transformed into the elegant shape of your kitsune form, you again offered them a ride, your head now pointed towards the Domain

In the distance, you witnessed a small child eagerly waving in your direction. His demeanour conveyed a feeling of sadness, yet he declared his intentions to meet with you again soon. A tender smile adorned your face as you ambled amongst the trees. Just moments after you faded from his sight, your ears were filled with the sounds of his sobbing.

There was no going back; the only option was to keep moving forward. Your paws were in constant motion, progressing from a steady walk to a frenzied canter as you navigated through the trees and cleared the cliff with a graceful leap. The sun descended towards the horizon, the passage of time coming to a near standstill as the sky filled with snowflakes that glided to the ground, lightly covering the lush green grass with a blanket of white. Such beauty was the mask of a hidden peril.

Kohga lightly grazed his fingers across your face, gazing down with an expression of solicitude. His chin lightly leaned on your head and he tenderly kneaded your ears and fur. Although the pace of your canter abated a bit, you kept going at a good enough speed to make it back in time for dinner. You involuntarily shut your eyes as a clap of thunder reverberated around you.