Chapter 42: Cowardice

Where the north wind meets the sea, there's a river full of memory.

Sleep my Princess, safe and sound; for in this river, all is found.

In her water's, deep and true, lie the answers and a path for you.

Dive down deep into her sound; but not too far or you'll be drowned.

Yes, she will seem to flow through here. And in her song, while magic flows. What can you brave, what you most fear?

Can you face what the river knows?

*

Startled awake, Kohga's eyes sprang open to the blackness of night. His rough hand slid across his face in a sluggish motion, attempting to banish the fatigue from his body. The piercing sound of a chill voice filled the air, causing his head to snap in the direction of its origin.

In the chill night air, the Yiga huddled together around the dim firepit, with the damp, heavy air and cavernous walls providing their only shelter. An almost constant snore filled the area, echoing off the walls as they tried in vain to keep warm without the help of blankets or clothes. Although it had only been a few hours since their arrival, the Yiga knew it would be some time before they could leave.

Kohga slowly rose to his feet, feeling a sharp itchiness on his side as he surveyed the room. He could hear you speaking, but it didn't sound like your normal voice - it echoed, reverberating off the wet walls. Yet he still couldn't spot you anywhere.

"Sweetheart?" He softly called out your name, not wanting to rouse the Yiga troops or Sooga, as he rose to his feet. With a single step, his tall frame slowly extended as he walked towards the cave's opening. In that moment, a chill swept across his skin, while the only sound that pierced the eerie stillness was the sound of your voice.

With one quick glance to either side, a relieved sigh echoed through the cavern walls. Nothing lurked nearby, nor were any monstrous guardians scouring his things. Carefully stepping out of the darkness, his boots sunk into the twinkling grains of sand below. With star-struck wonder, his eyes glimmered with the vibrant and glowing scarlet of the night's full moon. It was a picture of magical beauty, but more enchanting was the delicate snow cascading to the ground.

"Snow? Here...?" As the delicate snowflakes slowly glided through the air, Kohga stood there in wonder. He let out a small laugh, and in an instance, grasped the flakes tightly in his hands, feeling their chill as they slowly melted away. Taking one last look at the lake, his gaze became locked on the mysterious sky above.

A picturesque lake of infinite breadth was suspended in icy stillness, as if an unspoken rule dictated that the flurries of snow should only stay within its boundaries. Nature trembled in awe, every blade of grass shrivelled at the fierce touch of the unrelenting snow, as if a tempestuous blizzard had descended upon the world, so captivating and graceful it shook the heavens.

In the bitter cold, he heard a gentle voice break through the stillness, melting the fierce wind around the middle of the lake. He slowly opened his eyes, shielding them from the snow, and beheld the icy expanse before him.

"Where the north wind meets the sea," the voice floated out like silver, "there's a father, full of memory..."

"Sweetheart...?" As he made his way closer, Kohga carefully stepped onto the ice - almost like you hadn't even noticed. Amazingly, he managed not to slip, and he gracefully settled down beside you. Could it be that you knew he was coming to find you?