Chapter 37: Domain

The sweet scent of spring was nauseating, intoxicating...threatening.

You sat in silence, your legs crossed as you hovered in the air. Desert sands stretched and rolled around the arena of your consciousness. Torii Gates and dishevelled shrines littered the space, floating through time and space. You held a pool of water in your hands, watching it freeze as it fell from your palms; it resembled a translucent waterfall, frozen in time, before shattering against the dark sand. You sighed, resting your hands in your lap as you meditated. The silence was peaceful, reassuring; it allowed you to exist within your own mind.

With a single snap of your finger, you could make whole worlds appear instantaneously. Universes that could only ever exist inside your head; they could exist, even if they were only a fake version of the worlds that had been lost to time.

You frowned at the thought and opened your eyes.

As you surveyed the emptiness of your existence, the same thought echoed in your mind over and over again: 'How could I have been content with this nothingness for so long?' You felt empty. What once held promise now seemed like a never-ending cycle of solitude, where the idea of freedom was no more than an impossible fantasy. Memories of searching for ways to end this unending curse came flooding back, but the determination you once held had dissipated with each passing hour. The irony of it all struck a nerve as you pondered how you used to take comfort in being locked inside your own mind; now, you despised its beauty.

You stared at the majestic landscape before you, mesmerized by its beauty. But beneath the serenity, you felt a wave of emotions - loneliness, hatred, guilt - engulfing you and bringing tears to your eyes. No matter how much you tried to reason why you chose this place of refuge over the outside world, the fear you felt still lingered. Perhaps, it was the feeling of familiarity? No, this wasn't home. No matter what this world shifted into, it would never be home. Home is gone. Home was lost to time.

You uncrossed your legs and stood in the centre of the ancient arena. Your hands rested at your sides, and you sighed. Meditation was over.

As you blinked your eyes, the surreal dreamscape before you suddenly disappeared and you found yourself back in your bedroom. You could still feel the weight of your body on the bed as you hovered above it, your legs crossed and arms resting on your knees. You realized that you had been meditating in your sleep.

Scanning the room for Kohga, you saw that his spot was empty. Puzzled, you blinked in surprise and called out for him but he never answered. With a deep sigh, you stood up from the bed.

Ah, you were still bare of clothes, left in only your undergarments. You sighed and peered around the room once more until your eyes landed on a larger, red button up shirt. It was Kohga's tux shirt he wore the previous night; it definitely needed to be ironed, but when you picked it up, you took in the fruity scent. You smiled in delight, and your cheeks flushed a soft pink. You admired yourself in the mirror as you slipped it on over your head. It was far too big, but the color made you feel elegant and sophisticated as you tied the bottom into a knot. The sweet smell of fruit filled your nose, bringing back memories of the previous night's event. You smiled at your reflection as your cheeks blushed a soft pink hue.

You continued to gaze at yourself in the mirror, still slightly bleary-eyed from sleep. Your wand hung lazily around your head, hastily woven through your hair to keep it out of your face. You knew your friends would be used to seeing you like this by now - you had no time for fussing with appearances. Ghirahim would surely have something clever to say about it, while Zant might kindly offer to help you put it together better if you seemed too tired to do it yourself. With a sleepy smile on your face, you grabbed your journal and made your way out the door and down the stairs, surprised that Kohga had beaten you out of bed.