Jimin's Realization

DAY 801

Jimin doesn't know what to feel. All he knows is that his heart is both beating a million times a minute, but it's stopped at the same time. His eyes are wavering in and out of focus as he stares at the blood on Ves's sleeve, the bite mark on his wrist making Jimin wish to vomit. Out of fear, he doesn't. He isn't sure if that's a good thing or not.

"Kid... let me see, okay?" Jimin says, taking cautious steps closer.

Ves continues to back away, shaking his head while the tears pour down his face. "I don't want to hurt you. I didn't even want to come back, but I wanted to see who I love one last time."

"Let me see, Ves." Jimin comes closer, Ves staggering back. "Now."

At the sternness in Jimin's tone, Ves finally gives in and treks over, holding his arm out. Jimin rolls up Ves's sleeve, a chunk of his skin missing and replaced by the teeth marks. A zombie bite, and everyone knows what that means. "We got overwhelmed with runners while escaping," Ves says, casting his gaze to the ground.

"I'm sorry, Jimin, I tried to save him," Fiona whispers, her voice a shell of herself.

Jimin ignores her words, instead keeping his grip on Ves's arm. He doesn't mean for it to get tighter, but it does, his knuckles going pale. "How long ago did this happen?"

"I don't know, two hours? Three?"

"Did you pass out?"

Ves glances at Fiona, who shakes her head. "What does that have to do with anything?"

"I know you don't want to hear this, but there's a way to stop bites that happen on our limbs. Arms, legs. Feet and hands especially. I ran with a lot of groups, kid. Each one we got bites, and each time, we cut the limb off." Ves is quick to back away, forcing his arm out of Jimin's grasp. "I'm sorry, but it's the only way to save you. But we don't have much time, we have about until you pass out for the first time, that's how it was with my camps. That means the infection spread too much in you. And with infection rates varying, we need to do this now."

Jimin goes over and takes Ves's hand, about to storm off, but Ves holds his ground, fighting back against him. "You're not taking off my hand, I won't let you!"

"Ves, I'm trying to save you!"

"Just let me die in peace!" Ves shouts, making Jimin halt his actions. "Just let me..." Ves bites his lip and trails off, Jimin dropping the kid's hand. "I-I don't want to die," he says in a whimper, his voice cracking. "I don't want to... What do I do? I'm so scared. Jimin, please tell me there's another way. Please." Jimin embraces the boy, who shakes and sobs in his arms. He shushes Ves, stroking his hair and allowing the kid to stain his shirt with tears. It goes like that for a full minute, then, Y/n's voice fills the air.

"Fi, Sky?! Oh my God, you're alright! Is Jimin hugging my baby boy?"

Jimin closes his eyes and kisses the top of Ves's head, lowering his tone. "No matter what happens, be strong. I'll be right by your side through it all," he whispers.

"What if I bite you?"

"It's okay." Jimin keeps stroking Ves's hair, Y/n's footsteps approaching.

"Jimin? Can I have a turn, or am I not allowed?" No answer. "Namjoon? Fi? What's going on? Someone talk to me."

Jimin takes a breath before parting from Ves, turning to Y/n with his eyes full of tears. He sees her gorgeous face go from relieved to devastated, Jimin shaking his head in a minuscular manner. She catches on and brings her gaze to the bitten Ves, the kid stumbling forward to greet his mother.