The Hospital

Day 806

Night hits the sky, creating an aura around the tower known as the hospital. It feels as though thunder is about to hit despite there being no rain. It's just one of those times where you'd think thunder would strike the sky. Your shoulder is still in pain from the graze you got, but Julia half-heartedly patched you up with bandages and water before you went out on your journey. But Julia didn't come with you for this journey. In fact, barely anyone did.

Sky is by your side, holding your hand. Fiona is on your other side, her eyes narrowed on the building ahead. The doors are sealed shut, as are the windows. There's no way for you to peek inside and count the amount of Howlers. There's two reasons why Howlers are so dangerous. Well, more than two, but two major ones. The first reason is they're hard to see. They have naturally darker skin and blend in with the night sky. The second reason is they're hard to kill. Like Behemoths, Howlers take a lot of ammo to take out. Combining that with their sheer power, speed, and camouflage means they're near impossible to kill. Maybe the Ranglers have a right to take people to try and help defend their camps from these monstrosities.

Howlers evolved from zombies, but they sure as hell don't feel like zombies anymore. They're creatures of the night birthed from the Moon itself. At least, that's what you think. Fiona probably thinks they're from Hell, and Sky... who knows what she thinks anymore.

"Are we ready?" Fiona asks, holding an assault rifle.

Your weapons stash isn't the strongest in the world, but you took your best weapons for this mission. Sky can only handle a pistol, but you needed her here. As much as you don't want her here because of how young she is, she's the only one who can open the hospital doors. By that you mean, she's the only one small enough to go in the window above the doors to slip inside and open them.

"Never," you reply, going to the doors and kneeling. The window above it is so tiny, you doubt even Sky can fit. "Alright, up you go kiddo. But don't drop down without making sure there's no Howlers. We need you. If it comes down to it, you know what to do?"

"Run back home and don't look back."

"Right. You leave our asses. Emotions or not, you can-"

"Mourn later, mission first. I get it."

You let her get on your hands, and you hoist her up to the window. She climbs on the frame and peeks inside. It's the only window not boarded up because of the last time you were here to check on it. You pried the boards off to peek inside, but Howlers awaited you.

Sky cracks the window open, peeking down. "I don't see anything."

"I doubt they'd be here. That one window brings in sunlight, so they probably avoid it since it's the only place that gets light. Go ahead and let us in."

Sky obeys, plopping down and working on the door with her knife. She's experienced enough to know the basics of lockpicking. Fiona taught her, so that makes sense. Speaking of Fiona, the woman approaches you, and you glance at the scar on her neck on instinct. She freezes at your eyes, you sighing.

"Sorry," you say, averting your gaze, "I shouldn't pry, but didn't you get that scar because of-"

"I don't want to talk about it," she says, the door opening to prevent you from anymore awkward conversations. "But yes. Scavenge mission gone wrong. We lost two people that night, and I still didn't even see it. I didn't have a chance to: I was running."

"I'm sorry for saying anything, let's just get a move on." Right as the words left your lips, Sky came out to wait there for you. There's a part of you that wishes Ves was here. But it'd be stupid to bring along the kid who could mean the future of humanity. So, it was a good decision to make him stay and help Katherine and Jungkook with Jimin's recovery. Speaking of, you're still not sure how to feel. It's like your mind is drifting. The idea that Jimin might die hasn't hit your brain yet. It's better to get this mission over with. The faster you do it, the faster you don't have to worry about your boyfriend being in pain.