The Brothers

Day 834

Jimin spins the empty chamber of his revolver. Jihyun doesn't trust him enough for a Glock. Or bullets, for that matter. So Jimin gets the appearance that he's trusted by holding a gun everywhere he goes, but not quite enough trust that he can have a loaded one. It stings as much as it relieves him that he isn't dead yet. The worst part is, Jimin isn't sure which he would rather at this point.

Jihyun walks into the small room that's now Jimin's home. It's four walls and a roof. Nothing special. Barren walls void of any life, no paintings or wallpaper, not even any carpets. There's a single bulb hanging from a string that acts as Jimin's light source. No windows. He isn't privileged enough for those yet. There's a wooden desk with no paper or pencils on it, only a broken, dark lamp. And to add insult to injury, his bed has dirt on it and barely fits his whole body. Jimin's small and the bed still barely fits him.

"I've been here a few days," Jimin says, spinning the chamber one last time before tucking the metal in the waistband of his pants. "Yet this is the first I've seen of you since it happened. All I see are doctors and a glimpse of the guards outside my door who slide food in. This your definition of hospitality?"

"No." Jihyun leans against the wall with his arms draping over one another, his eyes refusing to leave Jimin's. "I've been busy. Otherwise I would have come straight to you."

"Busy." Jimin doesn't mean for the word to sound so full of venom, but it does anyway. "Too busy for your dear older brother? Have I been reduced to a chore for you, is that it?"

"Jimin," Jihyun says, his tone softer than before. "I know this can't be easy on you, but I genuinely want you here. By my side. And when you're fully recovered, we can fight together. We were always meant to be together. I'm just trying to keep my people alive, and I'm sorry that comes at your expense, but you haven't had so many people relying on you and no other solutions. I have an entire camp larger than all your former groups combined waiting for my orders, and I only just became leader not long ago. At the very least, I hope you understand the needs of my people come first over my personal wishes."

Jimin doesn't agree or disagree. Probably because deep down, as much as he hates it, Jihyun has a point. Jimin isn't in his situation. All the groups he's been in don't compare to the Ranglers. They're massive. Larger than any group Jimin's seen, and to lead that must be the most stressful job in the world. However, that doesn't mean Jimin agrees with his methods. Stealing people from their homes isn't the right way. People will join them willingly. They have showers and a community, stable food supplies and weapons. That's all it takes in the apocalypse. The school just happens to have all that and more, so why would they want to leave?

"Is there a reason you're visiting now, or did you just miss your big bro?"

"There is a reason, but I did miss you. Really." Jihyun comes a bit closer, Jimin shifting while biting back a grimace. "I came to ask about the Howlers. It's been long enough; I want answers, now. How do we stop the Howlers?"

Jimin has no reason not to tell him. After all, now since he's a Rangler, it benefits him too. Besides, he doesn't want to watch his brother suffer. And if the Ranglers suffer, Jihyun does. Jimin can't bring himself to hate - or even dislike - Jihyun. Through it all, Jihyun is Jimin's blood. The only blood he has left. And God be damned if Jimin's going to lose the last relative he has left. He didn't even think he had one at all, and now that he knows the truth...

"Flames," Jimin says, Jihyun raising a brow. "I used a flamethrower and it killed several Howlers. If you can get flamethrowers, you can kill them. No wonder why they don't like the daytime. The Sun must harm them, or scare them at least."