Chapter 4

Derek's POV:

My surgery with Burke had now just finished it's 7:30. My shift ended an hour and a half ago I still have some notes to fill out, but first I need to scrub out and grab some coffee. I was in the scrub room when Dr Burke walked out and I saw those same blonde locks stroll past the door. I dried my hands and flung the door open trying to catch up to her.

'Dr- sorry Chief Grey!' I called out to her.

'What is it! Oh Dr Shepherd Well done on your patient I saw they pulled through, how can I help you?' She said with a smile.

'Thankyou I'm just off to check in on them now.' 

'Alright so what can I do for you?'

I was lost for words I saw a glimpse of her and immediately had to see her but now I had nothing to say.

'Umm never mind Chief I - it's actually okay'

She sent me a sceptical look ' Ok Dr Shepherd I'll see you tomorrow as I'm off now.' She raised her hand to show goodbye.

'See you tomorrow' I mumbled with a smile to her.

Meredith's POV:

I hoped in my car ready to head home and finally see Ellis I have been craving to see that smile all day. I shoved all my paperwork and bag into the seat behind me and drove back to the house. I moved back here to Seattle about a month ago so Ellis and I could get settled before I came here to work but I still have a few boxes still not yet unpacked. I'm living in my mother's house it's rather large for just me and El especially since we don't have a ton of stuff anyway, but recently I ordered her a brand new bed but it still hasn't arrived so she has been sleeping in with me. The house is hardly decorated pretty much because I haven't had time and I need to buy paint for the walls as I don't like the colour no one has lived here for 8 years so my main priority was just checking everything was still intact.

I pulled up to the driveway and turned off the ignition I took a deep breath then walked up the porch steps to meet my little girl standing in the house hallway with her hand up in the air.

'Mamma' She giggled.

'Hey sunshine' I flashed a crazy smile.

'She had a late nap this afternoon so she isn't very tired as you can tell but I fed her bathed her and we put Dolly into bed' Mary told me whilst pointing over to Ellis' baby doll over on the couch with a blanket over her.

'Oh you put dolly to bed did you Ellis?' I picked her up and straddled her in my arms.

'Yeah!' Ellis laughed holding her my face between her hands which lead me to give her a kiss.

'Well now Dolly is in bed, let's get you into bed with dolly shall we? Thankyou Mary so much I promise I won't make you take care of her whilst I'm gone for so long again.'

'Meredith dear please she was no hassle at all and this might surprise you but I enjoy looking after Little Ellis she isn't an issue and I would love to look after her for you' Mary said whilst putting on her coat and grabbing her bag.

'Thankyou so so much Mary your amazing.'

'I wouldn't go that far dear I'll see you two ladies around.'

I closed the door behind Mary and went upstairs to put Ellis to bed. I told her a story and waited till she fell asleep in my bed to creep out. It was about 8:20 so I went downstairs and made myself a sandwich. A sandwich for dinner I know but I can't really cook and I don't exactly want to burn down the house normally I would eat leftovers but I have eaten all that. Tomorrow I must go grocery shopping. After making a sandwich I went to my car to grab my files that's when I got a message.