Chapter 33

Meredith was currently browsing on her laptop in her kitchen for places that she could go to when she heard small footsteps heading her way ,she closed the laptop lid down.
"Hey sunshine, what are you up to?"
Ellis handed her a blue piece of paper with a wide grin on her face.
"I forgot to say" she giggled.

Meredith unfolded the piece of paper and saw that it was a birthday invitation. She smiled "whose party are you invited to?"

"Max" she squealed.

"Oh I know Max, we'll let's see the date I'll let his mum know that you can go."
As she read down further the paper she realised it was today at 4pm.
"When you said you forgot, you really did forget" she muttered to herself.

She looked at the clock seeing it was 1pm already "You need a space outfit."

"Why?" She stuck out her lip. Not the choice she planned.

"Because it's Max's party that's what he wants. The invitation says space marshian party. We will have to run to find you something as a helmet. You can wear your white top and leggings then go from there."

"I want to be an alien."

"You do make it harder for me sometimes."
Ellis returned with a flashy smile.
"Fine. We can go to a store. Get your shoes on and head to the car. She wanted Ellis to enjoy this as much as she could. Meredith felt bad as this was the first birthday party she had been invited to and sadly will be the last one here before she found somewhere new.
With Ellis just seconds behind her she decided to head for the car.

Once she had buckled Ellis in she headed round the back of the car to her seat. Though she stopped at the back of the car when noticing a black Porsche pull into her drive.

She huffed, she didn't have time for this today.
"What are you doing here?" She folded her arms as he stepped out to her.

"To get the truth out of you."

"Huh?"

"I love you Meredith-"

"Derek I'm not going through this again I need to go I'm busy." He was beginning to sound like a whiny toddler.

"With what?"

"Errands."

"I have errands too I'll join you."

"We don't have the same stuff to do."

"You never know."

"Derek will you just leave it be!" She snapped, though her tone harsher than she had meant.

"Why won't you let me in? Just please give me the decency and tell me why."

"Derek, I don't have time for this. I'm really busy at the moment" Meredith said, holding her hands on a hips.

"Well, if you don't have time now, what about later?"

"Why can't you just leave me alone? You're constantly showing up and following me like a lost puppy. Don't you have a life? Or is it that so sad and lonely that you have to come and see me?"

"Why have you suddenly changed? You're pretending to be someone you're not."

"What if the person you thought you met before was just an act. This is the real Meredith. Now leave me alone and leave my daughter alone"

"If that is what you really want." Derek said feeling torn.

" Yes. Yes it is."

"Let me just say this. Meredith I love you and I just wish you could see it. I wish you could stop feeling like you don't deserve more. You're standoffish because you can't trust people, but I have done nothing for you to relate me to someone like that. You're scared, I don't know what you're scared of. But god Meredith please just know I'm not scared of this. I'm all in, but I can't wait forever, so you just need to give me something"

She looked at him, wanting to run straight to him, and tell him everything, she didn't want to be alone with this. He was right. She was scared. Scared of what the future holds, and scared of what lives in her past. She always told herself that people like her don't get happy endings. Derek can't be her knight in shining whatever, that just isn't reality.

Derek is a wonderful man, and she couldn't believe men like him did exist. Though she knew they didn't exist for her and so she has to let him go.
"You're blocking me in." Meredith finally said pointing at his car before she went and got into her side seat.

——

Over the weekend, Meredith had thought about the conversation with Derek she felt terrible. She of course wanted to correct it but had to remind herself she couldn't. To take her mind off things she decided today would be a surgery filled day, no paperwork that would just have to wait. Upon arrival to her office she headed over to her desk to throw her bag down though as she looked up.

"There you are."

Her eyes darted across the opposite end of the room to the voice. Her words were stuck in her throat and her feet felt like they were sinking into the ground, she couldn't move them. It was Finn. He was sat there smugly across the sofa just waiting for her. This was just a game to him.

His once sprawled across body was now standing up heading her direction.
"Don't worry, I'm not here to hurt you. I would never hurt the mother of my daughter."

She looked at the picture of Ellis she had on her desk. What an idiot. This is why she was to never get comfortable because life just backfired on her.

"What?" She choked out pretending to be clueless.

"The little girl you dropped off to school this morning."

"You followed me!"

"When you ran away I was worried I had to make sure you were safe."

"What kind of sick game are you playing Finn."

" I just want to see my daughter. You know the one you said you aborted."

"No."

"Meredith, I'm not asking you for permission"

"She isn't yours" she lied.

"Sadie was right. You're slut! You were with some other guy." He stormed over pushing her on the desk which resulted in her computer falling and smashing.

"Well I'd have to have been if she isnt yours!" She couldn't believe what she was implying of herself.

"How dare you!" He slapped her across the face.

Her hand flew to the mark as she realised what had just happened. She felt like the same young girl being thrown about by him once again and she refused to go back. Her leg landed straight in his crotch. As he leant down trying to get through the pain he grabbed her by her knees kicking her to the corner of the room.
"Fiesty one" he mocked.

She was pulled to stand by her hair that's when she felt his fist hit her face. Like a thousand bee stings all attacking her at once. He pushed his face into hers leaving almost no gap.
"You won't get away from me this time. You knew you could never spend all your life away from me. We love each other, we need each other" his voice soft now.
"Don't you see it Meredith" he said again holding her cheeks.

"No I don't." She spat at him.

"Oh you will you bitch!" And with that he dropped her to the floor.

"What are you going to do leave me for dead again!" She shouted.

"Shut up."

———

"Meredith!, Oh my god! Someone get me some help in here. NOW!"