Chapter 34

Her eyes darted around the room as they shot open. All she felt was pain. She was in the hospital. Her head felt like a constant drum beating. All the while the rest of her body had felt like each piece had been broken over and over. The curtains were all closed and it was dark. The walls were bare, it was just her in a hospital bed.
Looking around her surroundings she had noticed a collection of child paintings stuck along a draw which was stood to the wall.

Like a shock of waves it came back to her. Why she was in here. Her hand frantically reached to her side to call for the nurse. She pressed twice though it didn't beep, clearly not working. Stupid equipment.

"Chief Grey!" Nurse Evans gasped in shock stumbling into the room.
"You're awake! Let me go get someone don't move."
Meredith thought the last part of that was funny due to the fact she could see her leg was highly bandaged up.

To keep her mind off the pain she focused her attention to the drawings. She knew they must have come from Ellis, it broke her heart to know Ellis would have been in here.
Finally a familiar face walked in, Teddy.

"What am I doing in here?" Meredith asked. She knew what had happened just not to what extent. And she wasn't going to share any information about Finn. The last thing she wanted was people finding out.
Teddy slowly perched on the end of the bed as if scared of Meredith. Though she still hasn't responded back to Meredith's question.

"Teddy just give me the simple run down of what's wrong with me."

Still no response.

"Teddy" her tone more agitated.

"Meredith I'm glad you're awake, as you know we just need to run some tests, is that alright?"

"Firstly just tell me my injuries" but Teddy just sat there blankly, waiting for a reply.

"Why won't you answer me!" Meredith now frustrated.

"Meredith could you at least nod if you don't want to talk."

"I am talking." She froze. She was talking? Panic!

"Okay Meredith just calm down." Teddy stood up rushing over to the monitors which were now being set off.
"I need you to calm down your heart rate is through the roof."

"What is going on in here!" Burke shouted barging in.

"Her heart rate just suddenly-"

"Shut up!" He interrupted "Meredith just breathe, it isn't that hard, in and out" he snapped frustrated that she just wouldn't do what he wanted.

"Meredith, listen to me. Take my hand" Teddy pushed in front of Burke.

Would you move!" Burke spat.

"Stop it you two! She isn't something to fight over." Derek announced now standing in the room.
"Everyone out now!"

They both turned and looked at him burke surprisingly didn't protest he immediately left. Teddy however hovered around by the door not wanting to leave Meredith. Derek grabbed her hand and sat beside her.
"With me, in and out, in, and out."

She looked straight to his eyes as she followed his instructions. She hasn't noticed just how blue they were. As she was calming down Derek placed a hand on her cheek to comfort her. "You're okay and your going to stay that way. I won't let anything happen." She nodded allowing him to comfort her.

He could see her shoulders more relaxed having calmed down. He wiped her tears with his thumb before pulling her into his chest.
Teddy silently slide out the door choosing to let them be alone. A soft smile displayed on her face as she left.

—-

The night had faded to day as she opened her eyes the sun shone through each space inbetween the blinds.
"Hey" a calm voice called.

She turned her head to her right and saw Derek sat there. He had his head in his hand and spoke softly with a sweet smile. He looked... dreamy.

"Have you been here all night?" She asked feeling guilty. But then remembered so instead returned his smile with a sad one.
Her eyes trailed around the room not sure what was happening now. She wanted to know what was wrong with her, but she couldn't ask. She was waiting for someone to tell her why she couldn't talk. Did they know?

"Ellis will be glad to see you awake. And don't worry she's fine I have kept my eye out for her. She's currently at school. She has begged me to bring her here to see you since ... well since Teddy found you."

Teddy found her. But Teddy wasn't even working that day. What was she doing in?
Derek didn't move instead he looked to the floor "I'm so sorry Meredith-"
She interrupted him by holding her hand out to let him know all was okay. Which he happily held. What wasn't okay was that no one was telling her what the hell was wrong.
She held her hand out and waved it to signal she wanted a pen.

"What is it? What do you need?" He asked jumping out the chair.

A pen. A pen. A pen. The answer is a pen.

"I believe she is after something to write with" Dr Bailey spoke from the doorway.
"Already got you covered Grey" Bailey said as she walked up to Meredith and handed her a whiteboard.

Immediately she flicked the cap off the pen with her mouth due to not being able to move her other arm.

Why can't I speak?

She scribbled on the board.
Both Miranda and Derek looked at each other to exchange looks.
"Meredith hun we sent Alex in to tell you do you not remember?" Bailey questioned.

She didn't remember seeing Alex. He was meant to have coke to her room and told her an hour ago.
She shrugged and then wrote 'no'.
Where the hell was Alex?