Chapter 28

It had been just over 2 weeks and Derek's leg had healed nicely, Meredith had gotten used to him being around and so had Ellis. Meredith felt like pulling away now that she had noticed Ellis was becoming rather close with Derek. She would hate for Ellis to get too attached.

This morning she dropped Ellis to school and came straight to her office as she was already running behind. She was currently just leaning back in her chair she had emails on her schedule today which she was putting off. Then one popped up with an emergency sticker written on it. She sat up straight properly and leaned into her laptop to see what this was about she knew it would be interesting. But she soon slumped back in her chair when she saw it was a notice from Ellis' teacher just emailing to let the parents know that the kids were bringing back letter that parents needed to read. If it was that important then why trust a child with a letter and why not just email instead of emailing as a reminder.

Her door knocked a few times before Derek opened it and walked in placing a paper on her desk.
'I just got the all clear so here I am ready to work."

She smiled at him standing up. "Well that's good news" she said moving from her side of the desk over to him.
He grabbed her hands to pull her into him "I would have told you this morning but you were already gone."

"You're making it sound like we are a married couple" she giggled looking up at him.

He smiled back at her "I'm going past Ellis' school later if you want I can pick her up after her baseball practice. You know I love how she is interested in it and that you made the school start an after school club for kids to practice it."

"Well lots of kids are now in it" She paused remembering what she was thinking about earlier with Derek and Ellis "Actually it's okay I can grab her."

He sensed the tone in her voice and was confused as to why "Are you alright?"

She nodded in response moving back round to her desk. He could tell she was being off with him but was unsure as to why but decided not to press. Her office phone rang and he took that as a sign to leave as she hesitated to pick it up. She picked it up as the door shut, there seemed to be no one on the other end of the phone. She had had these calls all week where there would be no response on the other end she was growing tired of these silly prank calls. When she went to put the phone down she heard a mumble.

"Meredith"

She heard the voice and realised who it was. She immediately dropped the phone down shocked that he had found her. Her mind flung to the thought of keeping Ellis safe she was not sure what to do. She thought about moving somewhere new but didn't want to be like her mother, constantly running away. But her reasons were different to her mother's she reminded herself.

"No knock?" Meredith frustratingly asked as someone walked in her office.

"Sorry I forgot" Ian laughed approaching her desk.

She shot a smile to cover how she really wanted to act "what can I do for you?"

"Actually I was wondering if I could ask you something?"

"What's that?"

Ian was planning on asking her if she would want to go out together but as he looked at her his courage flew away from him. Now no longer able to ask the question he stood there like an idiot.
After an awkward silence he fiddled with his glasses "Actually I seemed to have forgotten sorry for bothering you Meredith" and with that he was out the door.

She turned her focus elsewhere more specifically to the files beside her for the new intern candidates.
She had much to get through today because it was then when her calendar reminded with a pop up that she had realised she'd forgotten that each department was doing their presentations today to win the grant money.

—-
She listened to each pitch but was no where near done Burke ended up going on and on and had told Teddy that the meeting was pushed up meaning she had missed it. If he can't cooperated how could Meredith be so sure the money was spent wisely and that both department heads would know what was happening.

Derek then strolled in to the conference room and took the seat to her right.
"Hey" he smiled.

She couldn't resist that mcdreamy smile

"Hey."

"I don't have a huge pitch I have a goal and that goal is to cure Alzheimer's."

Her gaze went from her paper and met his expression . Did he know?

"Why Alzheimer's?" She leaned back.

"Richard was the person who brought a whole new light to this disease for me. He asked me a year ago to start a study but it never went very far. Recently Iv been thinking about what life could be like with this disease not just for the person themselves but those surrounding them. And so this money will be a start but eventually I'll get there."

She sent a weak smile "That's great to know. How come Richard sent you in that direction?"

"No idea when he approached me he seemed very serious about it. I just presumed it affected him a great deal personally."

She nodded with a straight face.

"Sorry I didn't meant to bum you out" he laughed.

"No you didn't" she sent another fainted smile.

"Are you alright?" He asked concerned this time.

"I'm fine."

"Sure?"

"Derek I'm fine."
Their conversation was cut off as Callie walked in.
"Oh sorry didn't realise you were still going."

"No your fine Dr Shepherd had just finished your more than welcome to come in now."

Derek rose from the chair and left but not without turning to face Meredith as he headed out the door.

"Cartilage" Callie said with a huge smile on her face.

"Proceed" she giggled.

—-

Finally back in her office it was 7pm she checked her emails to ensure she was all up to date. Alex had picked up Ellis earlier and she couldn't wait to get home and see her.
She closed her laptop and headed down to the hospital lobby.

As she approached her car she felt someone pull on her arm.
"There you are Meredith."

She turned around in a scare. It was him. He had found her. Finn had found her.