Chapter 26

Meredith had finished her day rather quickly so that she could help Derek settle into the guest room. They had decided to stop at the trailer later to grab Derek's bag. Alex had offered to pick Ellis up for her today but Meredith presumed Derek would be okay to wait till she had grabbed Ellis. Though there was still quite some time till she needed to leave in order to pick her up in time.

She helped him onto the couch normally he would decline all this help but then that would mean he would no longer feel her soft hands.
"You're more than welcome to put your leg up on the couch because you need to keep it elevated remember."

"I know" he laughed "I am a doctor too remember."

She blushed from embarrassment before taking the spot next to him.

"My guest bedroom is mostly set up, so you do have a bed to sleep in I have Alex to thank for that or you would be sleeping on the floor. Also when I grab Ellis don't feel the need to have to stay in here you can just go to bed and ignore the two of us" She added scratching the back of her next.

"I plan on having many conversations with both you miss Ellis I believe I did owe her a tea party anyway so  best do it now" He smiled looking at her. She didn't reply other than look back at him. He caught her gaze go to his lips and decided that he was just going to go for it first. He moved his head towards hers and just as she did hers the doorbell rang interrupting. Derek let out a breath leaving a slight chuckle as he watched her stand up and head to the door.

He stayed glued to the couch because of his leg, and maybe the fact Meredith would catch him walking around set some sort of anxiety alight in him. Though that didn't stop him from swivelling his head around to see who was on the other side of the door.

"Would you like to buy some of our Girl Scout cookies?" A young girl beamed.

"Of course hold on a second whilst I go grab my purse for you girls." Meredith said brightly before running to the kitchen to grab some money. Derek saw the smile on her face as she strode through the rooms.

"Has anyone else brought more of you cookies?" Meredith asked squatting down to their level now that she was back at the door.

"No nobody wants any" The other girl who seemed younger said with a small frown.

"I can't believe that. You girls are so cute in your uniforms... I tell you what I will buy them all" Mer giggled.

The two girls dropped their jaws in shock before reaching to Meredith for a hug "Thankyou, thankyou" they repeated all high pitched and giggly.

Just as they had left Meredith started moving the boxes into the kitchen though still talking with Derek as she did.
"I'm not sure what we are going to do with all these cookies but I'm sure even with as much as what Ellis and I can eat they won't all be gone. Don't worry I won't ask you to eat them I know you don't like junk."

He didn't reply as he was a little caught up on the word 'we' he couldn't understand though as to why when it was only over a box of biscuits, well a fair few (let's give him that).

"Maybe I could hand some around the hospital. Oh speaking of which I need to join a meeting later about. You will see in the guest room that the computer is in there as I had been dong my work in there so later I will move that out but for now I will work on my iPad" She pointed to the stairs, he was unaware as to why.

"Meredith honestly don't change things around just because I am here move it in your own time or don't move it at all. All I ask is you just don't go a thousand miles a minute."

"Shut up" She giggled walking back to him but before she spoke more the phone in the kitchen rang. Back up she stood hurrying over to answer it.

Derek only heard her side of the conversation he hoped maybe he could tell who it was by the tone in her voice which was a bit far stretched he then reminded himself.

"Yes this is she."
"And this is for definite him?"

Him? Whose him? Derek questioned himself, maybe if he just wasn't listening.
All of a sudden she came back in rushing to put on her coat.
"So I need to uhh... I'll be back soon don't worry if you need anything whilst I'm not here Mary my next door neighbour, her number is there on the coffee table. She is lovely and ... yeah I'll be back." She said tripping over her words, she was in such a rush even her hair was still tucked in her coat.

—-

It had been over an hour and Derek wasn't sure whether to message Meredith as he hadn't heard from her. Sh left in a rush maybe he should message to check in on her. But what was he meant to say? No, he decided he wouldn't message but rather wait he knew she would call him if he was needed. At least he had hoped.

The ringing of the phone sounded in the kitchen which meant Derek chose to get up and go answer it. Though with his broken leg it was still quite a struggle to get up.
As he headed to the kitchen he tripped over his own feet, in an attempt to stop himself falling he grabbed onto the closest thing he could. That was the door frame but with there being nothing to hold on to he still fell, knocking over the end table with him. Once he had finished causing all this racket the phone had stopped ringing and so there he was on the floor surrounded by the mess he had made.

—-

"Hello" An unfamiliar voice called out as the front door opened. They weren't alone either it seemed they were joined by.
"Derek!" It was Ellis, she ran ahead to the sofa where Derek had managed to sit himself on again.

'Oh sorry I wasn't aware anyone would be here Mer must have forgotten to mention that, I'm Mary Meredith's next door neighbour." Mary said hanging Ellis' bag on the hook.

"Oh no it's fine, you said you spoke to Meredith?" Derek questioned.

"Oh she rang me up asking if I could grab Ellis from school and bring her back as she was running slightly behind on something.'

"Oh okay."

"Derk can we watch a movie" Ellis asked jumping onto the couch. He smiled in reply and grabbed the remote. She then climbed into his lap now that she wanted to watch a film.

"I see Ellis is comfortable enough here please tell Meredith that I stopped by." She said doing up her coat.

"Thankyou" Derek told her as she left.
"So how was school?" He asked Ellis turning his attention to her.

Thankyou for reading :)
Make sure to vote and comment.
Check out my other book if you haven't already.