Yelena Belova.

The crowd was talking about things Cat didn't care about. She dragged her brown gaze with little interest, the drink in her hand had barely been touched, and little droplets were slipping down her fingertips.

A blonde woman walked into the room. For the first time in the evening, Cat's body reacted at the sight.

"Sorry..." a male's voice talked next to her.

Cat went from freaking out to having no coherent thoughts. In front of her was a man with dark hair, black eyes, and a carefully trimmed beard. She moved out of his way, still staring. Cat went to grab her drink but the stranger's eyes found hers and she stopped.

"Hello," he smiled. 

"I..." she sat back. "Hi."

"Are you having a pleasant evening?"

"Sure."

The mutant hid her blush by sipping on her drink, when the taste settled on her tongue she grimaced. He glimpsed at her liquor, the ice was gone. 

"Not a fan of whisky?"

She looked down at it and placed the glass back on the bar's surface. "I keep hoping my opinion will change..."

"That's a waste of money." His voice was silky, she liked it.

Cat chuckled, she tilted her head and saw the blonde woman getting closer. 

"Maybe next time you can buy me a real drink."

The man's brows lifted in surprise. "What about tonight?"

"I have plans, can't get drunk with a stranger," she smiled playfully, "even if I'd like to take them home."

His hand gently landed on hers and she felt a pleasant shiver at the difference in size.

"I'm William," he said, "let's not be strangers next time."

Cat slowly moved away from his hand and put her whisky back on the bar. "Nice to meet you."

She walked away with slow, confident steps. She wasn't a fan of heels, but she'd learned how to walk on them because they could be used as weapons in case of an emergency, or at least that's what Nat had told her. Her dress, a nice shade of dark purple silk, was the only thing she liked about these kinds of parties. 

She could still remember the awful sensation her homecoming dress had on her skin, and how Pietro tried to convince her she only needed to get used to it... Cat fixed her posture, the young woman was standing in the corner of the room, and she walked up to her.

"I was wondering when you'd show up," she smiled.

"...sorry, you're mistaking me for someone else," the woman spoke with a thick accent, giving her a confused look. 

She'd barely moved a few steps away when Cat spoke up.

"I don't think so, Yelena," she replied in Russian.

The young woman turned but Cat didn't lift her gaze from her nails, though now she was no longer smiling.

"I'm Cat Maxwell," she continued, "we need to talk."

"I'm busy."

"I'll be quick. Just come with me, will you?"

"No," she frowned, "I don't know who you are. Do you think I'm an idiot?"

"I was hoping curiosity would get the best of you," the mutant sighed, "I'm here to talk about Nat."

Yelena didn't move, if anything she got even more nervous. "How do you—?"