A Mistake You Can't Laugh At.

"Good news. We're going to the opera!"

Instantly, the group of teenagers protested. Cat stayed at the back with MJ standing beside her.

"What happened to the carnival?"

"Well, this is upgrade living, guys. Come on. The tour company just gave us these tickets. For free! Do you have any idea how much opera tickets cost?"

"No, because none of us have ever wanted to go to the opera, ever," Flash replied.

"Uh—  I think this is gonna be culturally enriching for us," Ned was quick to say.

"Bless his heart," Cat gave the boy a sympathetic look. Peter had a good guy in the chair.

"Thank you, Ned. Everyone, this is gonna be, maybe, the best four hours of our whole trip!"

"FOUR HOURS?!"

"Guys, I think this is gonna be really fun! Seriously!"

"Well, at least we can make fun of the costumes, right?" MJ nudged her arm.

"Sure," Cat smiled at her briefly, she already had an excuse to leave early.

***

"Hey. I'll save you a seat," Brad offered.

"Oh, you're so sweet, thank you!" Cat beamed though it was pretty obvious he wasn't talking to her. 

Before the guy could correct her, her phone started buzzing, she'd asked M.O.U.S.E to fake a call and she looked at MJ with a bit of worry. 

"I should answer this..."

"Oh, sure," MJ walked away.

She walked past Peter at the entrance.

"You better get out quickly," Cat whispered, then pretended to answer the call. "Hi! What's going on..?"

She glanced back at MJ and Peter and saw them interact. He'd never acted that way around her, he'd always been the one to take the lead. Was that the right way to do things? The will-they-won't-they, bashful glances...

"Agent!"

Cat winced, she covered her right ear hissing. "What?"

"You should be in position already!"

"I'm going, you old crow!" She put her phone away and approached the teens. "I'm sorry, Pepper is having a few problems with an account— But I'll try to be back!"

"Oh, don't worry," the girl replied. "Peter and I are planning to sit together, so..."

Cat gave the boy a look that she hoped looked discretely exasperated. "Good! Well, see you later!"

 ***

"All right. I'm in position. As soon as I see something, Beck, I'll let you know."

"Roger that."

"How's the suit?"

"The suit's great. It's awesome. It's a little tight around the old web-shooter."

"Parker!"

"Okay, I'll shut up."

"Appreciated, Webs," Cat muttered.

She was looking at the scene from their quarters, the agent was tapping her foot anxiously, and Soren had to squeeze her arm to make her stop. 

"Fury always says the boss has to stay away from the action," her aunt reminded her, "and you and Talos are leading this operation."