Pretending.

Cat wasted months attending social gatherings, pretending to find amusing jokes she didn't understand, and wearing painful kinds of shoes. It was exhausting.

"You owe me a nice pair of underwear," she mumbled against the pillow. 

Billy chuckled. "If I buy it, I'll get you whatever I want."

"I've never been a fan of shopping, so you'd be doing me a favor."

He finished tying his shoes and looked at her over his shoulder. "When can I see you again?"

"You're so needy," she teased, supporting her head on one hand, "we're seeing each other right now."

"If I'm asking's because I'd like to have a clear schedule for you," he explained. 

Cat's head fell back on the pillow and stared up at the ceiling. "What if this is the last time you see me?"

"That's definitely something I won't allow."

"You wouldn't allow it?" She had to stop herself from laughing, Billy tended to get upset. "It's none of your business, actually..."

Billy never worried whenever she disappeared. He would be intrigued, yes, a little curious, but never worried. "If you go and decide to live in some other country," he smiled, "only if you met someone, then I'd stay away."

She sat and let the sheets slip off her body, leaving her bare in front of him. Cat grabbed the remote and turned the tv on, Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes showed up on the screen. She had to admit his new suit looked good, and Bucky was better, but she had her doubts about the two.

"Captain America," Billy muttered with a dark gaze, "it's hard to look at them when I know how much of a show they are..."

"Weren't they always?" She yawned. "The suits, the press... and the whole drama with the accords! If that compound were still standing, I'm sure they'd have their own reality show..."

Billy laughed. "Not a fan of the Avengers?"

She took her time to reply, once she did her voice was quiet. "When I was young it felt like they were my everything... But adults shouldn't admire other adults, it's weird."

 "So how do you suggest we treat them?"

"What do I know?" Her eyes lingered on Sam and his new look. "What I would give for one of those suits, though..."

"I know where you can get one."

"If you tell me to visit one of those geeky stores downtown—"

"I'm being serious," he interrupted, "some friends found stuff, they're selling them after they make sure they're original."

She pretended to be only slightly interested. Her voice adopted a tone of mockery. "You believe that?"

Billy scowled at her. "You think I'm an idiot?"

"Where is it, then? A super-secret man cave where the guys gather to dork about Hulk's spandex?"

Billy reached across the bed and held her face, not painfully, but with a tight grip nonetheless. "Think a little, Kati, before you talk," he said, "the Avengers had the best tech in the world and they never bothered to look for it, a few years ago one of Stark's planes almost got stolen... Imagine how wealthy they are, if they don't even care about the little fortune that's buried under the destruction."

"Little fortune..." she said, mouth pouting ridiculously thanks to Billy's grip. "And you guys obviously need the money."

"Not the money, the tech. I don't know why I try to explain this to you." He let go of her face with a scoff.