What Are Friends For?

Warnings: NSFW, lots of swearing and naked people

Feel free to skip this chapter if you don't like reading sex, I made sure it has no relevant info unless you consider Cat having a fun time important -Danny

___________________

Matthew stayed in the kitchen attending to a call even though it was close to midnight. She grabbed a blanket and went out to the fire escape, waving at the group inside Happy's car.

Matt came to her once his call was over, he stood beside her. "It was nice of them to throw you a party."

"They should've called. What if I'd decided to go out and get wasted?"

"You keep ignoring today's your birthday. They knew you wouldn't go out of your way to do anything different from your routine."

She placed both arms on the railing and her chin in one hand. "I didn't remember them so goddamn annoying... now that Kurt knows them it's about to get worse..."

Matthew laughed. "Was it true that you use to dress up every year?"

"Well, it's Halloween," she said defensively. "It was fun."

"I wish I could see those pictures..."

"I don't have them," she replied. "Peter kept them."

"You didn't keep any?"

She shrugged. "If someone breaks in I don't want them to know what people to kidnap... I gave Pete the best ones, it'd be a waste to have them under my bed."

"You've been nothing but thoughtful since the boy came back, that's not the same person I met two years ago..."

"Back then I had all these adults looking after me... and now I'm the adult who's trying to protect Peter."

"He's got this habit of talking to you gently... and it's not respect what I hear," Matthew moved his body to face her. "He's the ex-boyfriend you told me about, right? "

"It's weird, I don't know what to do with what we feel... just floating around us. I think that with time, it'll drift far enough for us to ignore it."

Matthew didn't respond but all his attention was on her. She felt too self-conscious about what she'd said, so she tried to make a joke.

"What would you know about that? Matt Murdock doesn't have time to indulge schoolgirl fantasies, he puts all his focus on work..."

He opened his mouth to speak and she caught a shiver coming out of it. He'd left the warmth of her apartment with no blanket, and his shirt had the sleeves rolled up, she noticed the hairs on his arms were standing.

"Jesus, you stand there with nothing on you..." she drew her blanket over his shoulders, scoping closer to him.

"You wish I had nothing on," he grabbed the end of the blanket to keep it in place.

"That should've been my birthday wish," Cat joked.

"Maybe next year."

"Watch your words." She playfully tapped the corner of his mouth.

He grabbed her wrist but didn't push it away. "Just to be clear, I put all my focus on work and a crazy cat lady that can't stop flirting with me."

Cat looked at his smile, and those glasses he wore even on nights as dark as this one. The young woman turned to face the street, but Matthew didn't release her hand. "I flirt with everyone, Matthew, you just humor me too much."