Keeping Distance.

Cat walked around the kitchen piling ingredient after ingredient on her plate, a beer that'd been drunk halfway stood next to the projection displayed in front of her.

She'd been uploading into the A.I. her old files containing the extensive list of super people she knew. They were divided into "B.A./B.M." Which stood for "Born average; Born mighty", so she could determine the nature of every hero's abilities. So far the "Born Average" was the largest section, and M.O.U.S.E. was giving her a quick update on the whereabouts of the enhanced people living in the world:

Sam and Bucky were fucking things up after the former stupidly gave up Steve's shield. She'd been upset when she found out, but Steve was long gone anyway, none of this affected him, wherever he was.

Wanda was near Pennsylvania, and whenever she gave her a call, Cat answered. Banner, Barton, and all of the others were having rather quiet lives, so she wasn't interested in them.

"Spider-man has been—"

"Mouse," she interrupted, "it's better if we leave that guy do his own thing. Don't keep an eye on him."

"Got it, boss."

The apartment door opened and she grabbed the earpiece laying on the bar, turning off the projection she'd been watching. She waited until the steps turned the corner.

"I don't remember giving you permission to be here," Matt stated.

"Sorry, S.H.I.E.L.D agents were following me and I didn't want them to see where I live, I had to lose them."

"S.H.I.E.L.D agents?" He sounded worried. "What did you do?"

"Calm down, they follow the potential agents they're about to hire to make sure they're trustworthy. I'm too well trained to allow that, though, I don't like having older men tailing me."

"And yet you stalk me all the time," he crossed his arms, "you finally got the call, then? Congrats."

"Thank you, I started the celebration," she seized her beer and tilted the bottle. "Wanna join?"

"Obviously," he smiled. Matthew reached and loosened his tie as he walked up to her, then stopped. "Is that a sandwich?"

She looked down at her plate. "Yeah?"

"Why does it smell like you put the whole convenience store in it?"

"You mean that in a good way?"

"In a revolted way," he got to the fridge and grabbed a beer. 

"I was hungry," she shrugged.

"You're anxious," he corrected, "and I don't think it's about your job."

"You and your sniffing..."

"I don't sniff," Matt laughed. He leaned his body against the breakfast bar next to her.

"You smelled the sweat on my brow? Is my heartbeat unsteady?" She stepped closer and put the tip of her index finger under his chin. "That's all you, hot-shot."

He smiled and moved her hand away, the gesture gave her a pleasant heat on her lower belly.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to," he replied, "but at least explain to me what were you doing before I came in, I heard voices."

"I was getting acquainted with my new assistant," she moved her hair and tapped the artifact on her ear, "he's got a cute voice."

"Cool," Matt admitted, "you paid a visit to your family?"

She looked away, tidying up the kitchen. "Fury gave it to me. I ran into Happy the other day and..." she stopped, "I ran into him at a welfare organization, we were both there to leave a few boxes of clothing and whatnot. I might visit him soon... turns out he still likes me!"