Chapter 8

I pick up the phone again, hoping to chat with Gary Reynolds. It went straight to voicemail. "Damn it." I say, quietly to myself.
"What is it?" Sky asks.
"The call went straight to voicemail." I say, sitting back down.
Suddenly, we hear a car pull up to Spellbound.
"Is anybody else supposed to be here?" Mars asks.
"No, it's past 5. That's weird. Alex, you wanna go check it out?" Matt asks.
"Sure." I say, walking over to the door of Blue Base. I saw a red glow. "What's this red glow?" I ask.
"What?" Woods calls out.
"There's a red glow." I say, turning around to look at the team. "A phantom has a red glow most of the time." Woods replies. I quickly turn back around, and sure enough, there was a phantom.
"Shit." I say. The phantom looked like he was wearing all black, and had a different mask from what I've seen through the videos. There were no tubes connecting Life's Blood to the mask, and the goggles were faded.
"You must be Alex, I want to speak with you." The mysterious phantom asked. I could hardly hear him through the glass.
"I won't hurt anyone if you talk to me," The phantom said, in a more threatening voice.
"Give me a minute." I say, walking away.
"What does he want?" Matt asked.
"He wants to talk to me," I say, and the team looks surprised.
"No, you're not gonna talk to him," Sam says.
"He said he'll hurt you all if I refuse, so I'm not going to," I say, turning back around to talk to this phantom.
"Alex, wait!" Sam yells, trying to get me to stop.
"Sam, I'm not gonna wait around until one of you gets hurt," I say, turning around.
"Okay, just be careful." Sam asks.
"I will." I say. My heart beats faster the closer I get to this phantom. I open the door.
"Let's talk outside." I say, and the phantom nods.
Once we're out in the courtyard, I ask him something.
"What do you want? Why'd you want to speak to me?" I ask.
"You will give me all of the evidence you have on Syphus, and I won't harm you right now." He says in a stern voice.
"Listen, man, I know about Syphus' mind control. So you're probably in control right now, right Syphus?" I say.
"Well, well, well, you answered your own question, didn't you?" Syphus says.     "Listen, man, I'm not giving you any evidence. So you can leave." I say, in a stern voice.  "So, you don't care about yourself getting hurt? What about your team?" Syphus says, in a threatening tone.
"You leave them out of this," I say. "Give me the evidence, Alex. And nobody will be harmed. Especially Samantha." Syphus says.
"Are you threatening my sister?" I say, in a stern voice.
"As a matter of fact, yes I am." Syphus says, in a happy tone.
"You leave my sister, and my team, out of this!" I say, yelling.
"Just give me the damn evidence, Alex," Syphus says.
"No. And you're gonna have to kill me to get to my team," I say. "
Oh, that won't be a problem." Syphus says. He then leaves the studio.
I begin walking back to Blue Base.
"What did he want?" Sam asks, hugging me.
"Syphus wanted me to join him, and I refused." I say, trying my best for a cover story.
"What?! It was Syphus?!" Matt said.
"Yeah, mind control," I say, trying to get out of Sam's hug.
"Also, I forgot to say this Alex, but you're hired." Matt said, holding my hand out.  "Wait, no interview, nothing?" I ask.
"You handled yourself well with Deb's death, I know me and the team would've lost it during the phone conversation. And you handled yourself well with Syphus." I gladly shake Matt's hand and the team starts clapping.
Once the team begins to head home, I try to see if I can get the evidence.
"You coming, Alex?" Sam asks.
"Yeah, I'll be a minute," I reply, trying to make sure Sam doesn't get suspicious of me.
"Okay, I'll see you at the studio tomorrow!" Sam says, and then she leaves Spellbound.
"Bye," I say.

Now that nobody's here, I can go get the evidence. Once I unlock the 863 vaults, I grab the box that says "Nelson Syphus" and then I leave the vault. I shut the door, and head down the steps. Then I saw the same phantom that I was talking to on the street. "Where are you going, Alex?" Nelson asks.
"Home. So you should leave." I say, ignoring him.
"Well, that's no way to talk to someone in control, is it?" Nelson says, and I turn around to see him holding a knife. I put the box down.
"What the hell do you want now, Nelson?" I ask. He shows me a vial of Life's Blood.
"It's yours," Nelson says, handing it to me. I throw it in the trash can near me.
"Oh, you shouldn't have done that." Nelson says.
"What're you gonna do? Kill me?" I ask, looking at him right in the eyes.
"No, but I guess I can have a word with Samantha," Nelson says, turning around. "No!" I yell, running at Nelson. I wasn't sure what I was going to do, but I wasn't going to let him do anything to my sister. I punched him, but I didn't know how strong he was. He punched me in the face and threw me into Megadesk. Syphus left Blue Base.
It took me a few minutes to get up. Once I did, I felt an aching pain in my ribs. I went in a mirror only to see dust on my body, a bloody nose, and mouth.
"I need to call Sam," I said quietly to myself. I then pull out my phone and call her. "Come on, pick up goddamn it," I say, and she finally picks up.
"Hey Alex, what's up?" She asks.
"Good, he hasn't gotten to you yet. Listen, Sam, you need to hide. Syphus is heading to you, okay? You need to hide." I say in a pained voice.
"Are you okay?" She asks.
"No, he came in after you all were gone and most likely fractured my ribs." I say. "I'm heading over. Call Matt." She says.
"No! You need to stay there, Syphus is looking for you. I'll explain everything later. I'm about to head over, okay? Just hide." I say in a more panicked voice.
"Okay, okay, I'll hide. But still, call Matt." She says.
"I will," I say, hanging up the phone. I call Matt and explain everything quickly. "Wait there, I'll be there." He says.
"No, Syphus is trying to look for Sam, and he knows where she lives. I need to head there." I say.
"Okay, just head there and I'll head to Spellbound." Matt says.
"Okay," I say, hanging up the phone. I get in my car, and start driving to Sam's apartment.