Chapter 23

Mars POV

We all got into Matt's car and followed Alex and Ben. My wrists still burn from the rope but I'm more focused on Syphus. Anger doesn't even begin to describe how I feel. I'm trying not to burst out, especially since I don't wanna scare the group. I wanna yell and punch something, or someone. How could he have done this to my friend? Why were we dragged into this, what's so special about us? As I come back to reality I can hear Sky saying my name.
"Mars, are you okay? You look pale," they ask, waving a hand over my eyes.
"I'm fine, just thinking," I lied, well, it wasn't fully a lie, it was a half truth. I realized we were at the location and I jumped out of the car. Woods could tell I was angry so he made sure he was at my side while we figure out what to do.
"Who's going in?" Sky asks, looking at the location."
"I will," Sam says, stepping out.
"No you aren't, Sam. You just got kidnapped, you aren't going in there," I respond more harsh than intended.
"Mars is right, it's too dangerous," Matt agreed while looking at the rest of the group.
"I have an idea, I'll go in with someone else, they'll lure Ben away, and I'll 'talk' with Alex," I explain to the group.
"Syphus, not Alex," Sam corrects me.
"Mars, there is no way I am letting you go in there, you'll get hurt!" Woods exclaims, looking my way.
"He's scared of two people, Woods, me and you. Why else would he not have Ben untie us?" I say back, scared to look woods in the eyes.
"Mars, you can't, you're just a kid," Matt tries to reason. That pissed me off even more. I did my best to keep my composure though, so I can take it all out on Alex... or Syphus.
"I'm not 'just a kid' Matt, and Woods, I'll be fine," I sternly remind the group.
"Someone needs to come in with me to be a distraction, just to get Ben out," I look over at Sky.
"I'll do it, if he goes after anyone, it'll be me," they say as they take their backpack off.
"Perfect, you guys wait out here, once Ben is out, try and distract him for as long as possible," I tell them and I walk over to the latch with Sky.
"Good luck, Mars, and I swear to god if you die i'l-"
"I won't die, Woods, It'll be fine. Good luck to all of you, remember to breathe," I say as I open the latch. I climb inside and Sky follows.

As we quietly make our way down the latter, I can hear Alex and Ben talking to each other. We get to the bottom and I hide in a dark corner, invisible to the blind, unaware eye. Sky walks forward, trying to be as quiet as they can be. Soon enough Alex noticed Sky.
"You're all far too late. It's five minutes from dispersing serum throughout the city," Nelson said with a sinister laugh.
"You know what to do, Benjamin," Nelson says. I look over to Sky and mouth 'run' as they start to run past me. Ben follows, but doesn't see me, just following Sky out of the hatch. I finally stand up and walk to the clearing to face Alex/Syphus.
"Ya know, I thought it would be harder getting past your little guard," I starkly say to let Alex know I'm there.
"And I thought it would be harder capturing you and your team," Nelson responds with a sly grin.
"You found it hard to catch the others, but I know you're scared," I reply, walking closer to him.
"Bold of you to assume, I'm not afraid of anything," Nelson responds.
"Then why don't you turn and look at me?" I tease. Nelson quickly stands up and looks at me.
"What was that?" He asks. I grin and stand my ground.
"If you aren't scared, why did you have Ben untie everyone besides Woods and I?" I tease again.
"I dare you to say it again," Nelson says while slightly pushing me.
"You. Are. Scared." I sternly reply, exaggerating my words.
"You are a brave kid, but bravery only gets you so far, especially if it means the ones you love pay for it," he threatens, looking me in the eyes and then looking at the necklace Woods got me when I was little.
"I'm gonna kill you," I say sternly.
"Now, you don't want Alex to die as well, do you?" Nelson asks.
"There has to be a way to get rid of you and keep Alex safe," I state, starting to get frustrated.
"There isn't. Now you're gonna watch this valley burn," Nelson states, pushing me in the process.
"Don't touch me, Nelson!" I yell. As I yell that I feel myself get slammed against the wall, my vision goes blurry.
"Don't yell at me," Nelson states, threatening to punch me.
"Do it, you're not scared of anything, right?" I teasingly threaten. As I say that I feel a sharp pain in my stomach.
"Don't question me like that, I'm not afraid to hurt you." Nelson chuckles, looking down at me.
"Don't underestimate me that quickly," I say as I kick him backwards. He loses his balance so I had time to get up and rush over to the computer connected to the button. There were two and a half minutes left.
"Shoot, how does this work?" I ask myself before I feel myself being grabbed and thrown onto the floor behind me. I hit my head again and my ears are ringing. I open my eyes to see a blurry Nelson standing over me.
"I told you, I'm not afraid to hurt you," Nelson said, grabbing me and punching me in my stomach.
"Stay down," Nelson says, walking back to the computer.
I hardly get back up, but I can't quit, the entire valley depends on it. I run and push Nelson off of the stool, and attempt to shut down the computer. There were 2 buttons, labeled hazelnut and peppermint. "Darn it, which one?" I say to myself.
"You have a 50% chance of saving the valley, choose wisely," Nelson says with a smirk. He was back up.
"Please don't screw this up," I say to myself while pressing the button labeled 'Peppermint'. "No!" Nelson yells as I push the button. I fall to the floor. Alex is lying in front of me. I crawl over to him as fast as I can, my body is on fire. Every bone in my body hurts, but I need to help Alex. With the last little bit of energy, I pull him into my lap and I yell,
"HELP, ALEX NEEDS HELP!"