over-working

Y/N helps Natasha find happiness again. Reader is 15 & not Natasha's daughter.

Y/N:
Natasha is my best friend, my sister and a mom to me. She saved my life when I was ten and her and family took down the Red Room. She took me in, knowing that I had nowhere to go and no family to go back to, and I was too young to find my own way.

We've kind of developed this unspoken rule that we will always look after each other. Always be there to listen to one another and give each other hugs when we needed it. Everyone always jokes that Natasha went soft when she met me and she can't even deny it. They always tease her about it which makes me laugh... until she ends up chasing whoever said something around the compound and nine out of ten times they end up getting hurt.
One time she physically tackled Tony to the ground after he made a joke about and everyone told her to stop but she wouldn't listen until I asked her.

Lately though, I've noticed that she hasn't seemed as happy as she usually is. She's been over-working herself and I've seen the literal piles of paperwork she's trying to get through.

We usually will have a 'girls night' on a Sunday with Wanda, her and sometimes Peter will join too. Even though it's technically only meant to be girls, Peter is my best friend so I usually end up convincing Nat to let him join...However, she couldn't join us last Sunday and honestly it made me a little sad, but I understood that she was busy and that she would join us next time.
That was until next time came around and she said that she was too busy.

•••

We are on spring break at the moment so that means I've got a couple weeks off of school and I was hoping to spend more time with Nat. The rest of the team are on a mission for the next couple of days leaving just the two of us in the compound.

I've felt quite lonely though because Nat is so busy with work but me on the other hand, have literally nothing to do and my ADHD means that I have an extremely hard time focusing on something for more than twenty minutes at a time.

When I woke up this morning I noticed the distressed look on Nat's face and I could literally feel how much she was dreading today. She hasn't had a day off in like three weeks and no offence to her or anything, but it's really starting to show.

I decided this afternoon that I was finally going to do something about it though.

I made my way into her office and sat on the chair opposite her. She obviously noticed my presence because she looked up at me and smiled, but then dropped her head back down to her laptop.

"Nattttt?" I dragged out. "Yes Y/N?" She said, not taking her eyes off her work. "Can you take a break?" I asked hopefully. "As much as I would love to honey, I have so much work to do." She sighed. "Ugh work shmirk, you haven't taken a break in like three weeks." I whine. "Okay one, 'shmirk' is not a word and two, that's not true. I take a break when I go to sleep." She says, cocking an eyebrow as she finally lifts her head from her desk. I roll my eyes at her. "Did you just roll your eyes at me young lady?" She's asks in a chuckle. "Yes. Yes I did. Because you are incredibly annoying." I say. "I take that as a compliment. Thank you." She smirks.

A few moments pass and it doesn't look like she's going to be taking a break anytime soon so I decide that I'm going to annoy her into taking one.
I notice the bag of m&ms on her desk and I pick it up and start eating, not making any effort to be quiet. Unfortunately this doesn't work, so I grab a pen and start tapping on her desk. "I know what you're trying to do Y/N, and it's not going to work." She says. Damn it. Busted.
I decided not to give up so I start talking. "Do you ever think like, why earth? Like why humans? Cause same. And like how weird is like the whole concept of time, like who created that? Also, isn't it weird that—" I stop talking when Natasha cuts me off, "Okay sweetheart, I love you. But please let me work." She says and I let out a huge sigh.

I continue eating my m&ms because...yum, and I finally realise that if I'm going to get her to take a break I'm literally going to have to force her.
I get off my seat and run to my room, grabbing my shoes before running to Natasha's to get her shoes and a coat because it's New York and even in the spring you need to rug up because it's still fucking freezing. I make my way down to the garage to steal one on Tony's cars.

I unlock it and throw Nat's stuff in the backseat before running back upstairs to her office.
When I finally get there I'm completely out of breath which causes her to look up at me. "You okay?" She asked. "Yeah- all...good. Just too much cardio." I admit trying to catch my breath.

Her eyes fall back down to her computer and I walk over to her to drag out off her chair. "Y/N stop, I need to finish this." She said, one hand still on the keyboard while the other is always being ripped apart and I try to pull her away. "Natasha Romanoff!" I raise my voice which caused her to look at me in shock, slightly amused. "God you're like a toddler sometimes, having to be yelled at before you listen." I roll my eyes. "Excuse me?!" She says in a chuckle. "Shut up. I'm talking. Now, would you stop being so goddamn stubborn for like an hour and take a break?" I say, giving her puppy eyes. "Don't do that. That's not fair. I can't resist that face and you know it." She says and I continue to give her that face. Finally, after a moment she caves. "Fine."

"Yay!" I exclaim as I try to contain my excitement, before dragging her out the room. "Wait what are we doing." She asks. "Just follow me." I order.

As we finally get to the garage, I open the passenger door and shove her in, accidentally making her hit her head. "Ow!" She exclaims. "Sorry." I shrug.

"Y/N I don't have have shoes on." Nat states. "They're at your feet." I say. She looks down and then looks back up at me, "Y/N, they're a pair of crocs and they're not even mine. I'm not wearing them out." She raises her eyebrows. "Oh, they were in your closet?" I ask. "They're Maria's." She declares and my jaw drops open. "I knew you were together!" I say and she rolls her eyes. "I'm not wearing them." She repeats herself. "Yeah I know, I did it as a joke. You're other shoes are in the back."

I walk over to the drivers side and put my seatbelt on. "Hold on, why are you on the drivers side? You don't even have a learners permit. Let me drive." Natasha says. "No, I wanna learn," I whine, "Can you teach me?"
"Not without a permit. Now switch with me." She says. "Natasha, your license expired over six months ago so I doesn't make any difference." I shrug and her eyes squint. "Fine. Bossy." She mumbles that last word to herself but I still manage to hear.

"Okay, so what do I do?" I turn to look at her. "Well, turning the engine on would be a great start." She laughs. I look around the car for a moment trying to figure out where to turn it on. I can't find it anywhere. "You know what, this is too hard. You can drive." I smile, before undoing my seatbelt and switching seats with Natasha.

•••

Natasha and I went to lunch and a quick walk before making our way back to the compound.

"Thank you sweetheart." She says, as we pull into the garage. "What for?" I ask. "For getting my head out of work and teaching me to enjoy life, even when it's hectic." Natasha smiles. "That's okay." I smile shyly. "Love you honey."
"I love you too!"

——————
A/N: heyyy, look at me with a double update 😏
I got my booster shot today and my arm is in pain so I'm using that as an excuse not to do anything this afternoon so I just sat in my bed and wrote

anyways I did actually proofread this one but it's nearly 2000 words so there's bound to be mistakes so sorry for that 🤷🏻‍♀️ ok bye