struggling: part two - minor tw?

age: seventeen
warnings: adhd

Y/N:
It took me until three o'clock in the morning to finish my math homework. No matter how hard I tried to concentrate, I accidentally ended up taking thirty minute breaks each time I answered a question.

Thankfully today is a Saturday, therefore I got to sleep in.
After I made coffee, had breakfast and said good morning to everyone at one o'clock in the afternoon, I went upstairs and got started on the rest of my homework. I dreaded the fact that I knew this would be my whole weekend.

A few hours later I got a message from Nat, reminding me of a meeting we have in half an hour. I locked my phone and placed it back down on my desk before getting back to my homework.
I didn't end up talking to Nat about why I was upset last night, because I knew I was overreacting and the fact that I'm probably not going to graduate, is my own fault so there's no point crying about it, especially when she has her own life to worry about.

•••

I got up to use the toilet a little while later before remembering I had a meeting. I picked up my phone to check the time, seeing that I was already twenty minutes late. Again. Fury is going to kill me.

I ran upstairs to the common area where the meetings our usually held. I could feel the tension in the room the moment I walked in. Not necessarily from the team, but from Fury.

"Nice of you to finally join us." Fury says. I can hear that he is angry by the tone in his voice. "I'm sorry. I lost track of time." I admit, taking a seat next to Natasha. "You're always losing track of time. It's getting ridiculous." He scolds.

Shut the fuck up, Nick. I'm trying. I say in my head. Unfortunately I can't say it to his face.

"I was doing homework." I sheepishly admit.

Damn it, I was he didn't intimidate me this much.

"When I call a meeting, I expect you to be here on time." He continues. "Give the kid a break Fury." Tony says from across the table. I send him a small smile to thank him. However, Fury keeps going.

"Start making more of an effort. You constantly being late and messing up on missions doesn't just effect you, it effects the whole team."
"You don't think I know that? I'm trying my best, I just have a lot happening with school and work on top of that is a lot of pressure." I admit. I'm so angry but trying not to cry at the same time.

"If you can't handle to pressure of being an Avenger Y/N, then don't be one." He's getting angry.

"Fury, she's not just an Avenger. She's a teenager whose still in school full-time, working one of the most difficult jobs in the world. Give her a break." Natasha scolds, grabbing my hand.

At this point the tears start to form in my eyes, but I quickly blink them away.

"You all seem to be doing just fine. Y/N is just lazy and blaming it on the fact that she's in school. You don't get yourself together, Y/N, and you'll be taken off the team."

"We all seem to be doing fine because we aren't in school and I think you're forgetting Y/N is one of the strongest Avengers here, we need her more than she needs us, Nick." Natasha argues.

I can slowly feel myself sinking back into my seat. The tears start to fall as I silently cry. I hate that my go-to emotion is to cry.

"Parker is doing exactly the same work, and he seems to be doing just fine." Fury raises his voice. I quickly wipe the tears, before getting up from my seat. "I'm gonna go," I state. "Thank you Nat." I smile, letting go of her hand and making my way out.

"Excuse me, we're not done here." He yells. "Clearly, you don't want me here and I don't want to be the person who makes everyone else's job harder, so I quit."

The room goes dead silent. I surprised myself at my words, but I immediately felt this huge weight lift from my shoulders. It's not that I don't want to be an Avenger, but I need a break.

•••

When I got back to my bedroom, I shut the door and slid my back down it. My hand covered my mouth as I finally let myself cry.

I heard yelling coming from upstairs, but I couldn't make out what anyone was saying.
A few minutes later I heard someone knock on my door.

"Can I come in?" Natasha asked. "I don't want to talk." I quietly admit. "You don't have to talk, just let me give you a hug." She says gently.

I get myself off of the floor and unlock my door.

Natasha:
When Y/N opened the door, tears were falling down her face, her eyes were red and puffy, and she looked so exhausted.

I step inside, closing the door behind me and pull her in for a hug. Her cries turn into sobs the moment she relaxes into my arms.

"I don't know what's wrong with me Nat, I really am trying. I promise I am." She chokes. Her voice muffled by my shirt. "There's nothing wrong with you sweetheart, and I know you're trying you best, which is all anyone can ask for." I assure her. "My best isn't good enough. For anyone," She cries. "I try so hard to be what everyone wants me to be but I'm letting everyone down. I'm probably not even going to graduate because I'm failing nearly every one of my classes—"
"Calm down," I stop her from rambling. "First of all, you're best is enough, and you're not letting anyone down, especially me. Second of all, you don't need to be what everyone else wants you to be. Who do you want to be?" I ask gently, placing my hands on her shoulders.

"I don't know." She shrugs. A defeated look wiping her face. "That's okay." I nod with a small smile.

"Why didn't you tell me you were struggling with school?" I ask gently. Y/N walks over and sits on the end of her bed. "It's not that I'm struggling. Well expect for math. I understand the work, but I keep getting distracted constantly which causes me to miss out on at least half on what I'm being taught." She shrugs.

I nod, taking a seat next to her. "It's why I'm always late to everything too, I'm always losing track of time because I feel like I have thousands of things going on in my head, and I concentrate on anything."

I take a deep breath. "Honey, it sounds like you have adhd." I say. Y/N looks up at me. "Does it? I mean it would explain a lot." She chuckles slightly. "I can see if you can get in to see someone about it and if you do have, they'll most likely give you something to help with it?" I suggest. "Yes please." She smiles with relief.

"Okay, I'll look into it tomorrow." I admit. "Thank you, Nat." She rests her head on my shoulder and I wrap my arm around her.

"I know I said I quit, but I didn't really mean it. I just need a break." She sighs. "I know. I'm not letting you quit that easily anyway. You're the only person keeping me sane around here" We both laugh.

We stay cuddled up next to each other for a while, enjoying one another's company and the silence. "Nat?" Y/N whispers. "Yes?"
"I know it sounds stupid because I'm like seventeen and it's something a toddler would say, but I mean it." She says, and I nod for her to continue.

"I want to be like you. That's who I want to be." She smiles, looking up at me.

__________
A/N: part two!
this turned out better in my head but oh well 🤷🏻‍♀️ I hope you enjoyed anywayyys

I hope you all have a lovely day/night <3
Not proofread