she's sick: part four

I'd say I would pay for your therapy, but I have barely enough money to pay for myself...

Natasha:
As soon as those words leave his mouth it feels like my world stops turning for a moment. "How bad is it?" I ask as I try to without myself from breaking down. Bruce takes a deep breath and looks down at the ground. "Bruce, please tell me." I choke. "It's more aggressive than last time. It's spreading a lot faster and treatment is going to be a lot more brutal." He admits.

"She'll be okay though, right?" I ask, biting the inside of my cheek. He sighs heavily, "You know I can't promise anything Nat."

I nod. "Is there anything I can do for you at the moment?" Bruce asks empathetically. I shake my head, "No, I'll be okay. Thank you."
"Okay, we'll talk more about it in the morning. I'll let you get some rest." He sadly smiles and walks out of the room, closing the door behind him.

Trying not to wake Y/N, I carefully get out of bed and made my way to the bathroom. I shut the door and slid my back down it as my knees gave way. I covered my mouth with my hand so I could quieten the sound of my sobbing.

I couldn't believe this was happening again. Y/N deserved so much better than this and I hate myself for not being able to do anything about it.
I should've gotten her checked the moment she had a fever a couple of weeks ago, maybe then it wouldn't be so aggressive now.

As I stand up to splash cold water on my face the door swings open. Y/N is covering her nose with her hand in attempt to stop the blood that is pouring out. "Sorry I didn't know you were in here." She says tiredly. "Don't be sorry. Let me help you with that." I say, reaching for the tissues above the toilet. "Thanks Мама. Are you okay? You look sad." Y/N asks quietly. "I'm okay детка." I smile gently. It's 1am and it's not the time to tell her her cancer came back.

Once her nose finally stopped bleeding, I washed the blood off my hands and we made our way back to bed. As we walked out the bathroom Y/N suddenly stopped and she went really pale. "What's wrong, honey?" I say. "Just a bit dizzy. Give me a sec." She says as she grabs onto my wrist and closes her eyes.
Her body went limp as she passed out. I caught her just in time, before she hit the floor. "Woah, okay sweetheart." I say as I lift her up into my arms.

I placed on the the bed and waited for her to wake up. It only takes her a minute before she opens her eyes again. "You okay?" I ask gently and she nods, resting her head on my shoulder.

I hear her take a deep breath. "It's came back didn't it? That's why you were crying before." Y/N asks sadly. I sigh and run my fingers through her hair, "I'm sorry детка."
Y/N started crying, even though I could see she was trying not too. "I don't know if I can do it all again Мама."
"I know sweetheart. But we're gonna get you through this." I assure her. "I'm so scared." She sobs, burying her head into my shoulder. I wrap my arms around her waist and pull her onto my lap. "It's okay. You're going to be okay." I coo as I try not to cry again. Truthfully, I'm so scared. I don't know what I would do with myself if I lost her. But I can't show her that I'm scared, she needs me to be strong right now.

•••

2 months later

Y/N's treatment has been a lot harder on her body than last time. Majority of her time is spent in the hospital bed and all I can say is thank god that we have a medbay and doctors in the compound.

I was up all last night with her, holding her hair back whilst she threw up into a bucket. She hasn't been able to eat solid foods for 2 weeks and she's barely even keeping water down at this point.

Y/N had finally been able to fall asleep after being up all night and my stomach churned when I see how sick she looks. Her cheekbones are hollow and she has massive dark circles under her eyes.

As soon as her chemo has started, her health took a decline rapidly. Bruce had warned me that it was going to more aggressive, but I didn't think it would be this bad.

"Nat, why don't you go have a shower and get some food. I'll watch Y/N in the meantime." I hear Tony's voice. "I don't want to leave her alone. What if something happens?" I say, as I hold on tightly to my daughters hand. "Nothing is going to happen. But you haven't left that chair in 2 days and you need to look after yourself too." He insists. I think for a moment, "Fine. But I won't be any longer than 20 minutes. Please call me if something happens." I say hesitantly.

3 months later

"What do you mean it's not working?" I raise me voice. "Nat," Bruce sighs, "There's not much we can do. We've tried everything and it's still spreading."
"No," I shake my head, "I don't believe you."

"She doesn't have more than a couple of months left." He tells me. I can tell this is hard for him. Nobody would enjoy breaking the news to a parent that their child is dying and there's not you can do to stop it.

"There's nothing else you can do?" I ask, biting the inside of my cheek. He shakes his head.
The tears uncontrollably fall from my eyes as I process everything. "I can't Bruce. I can't lose her." I breakdown.

2 weeks later

"Hi sweetheart. How are you feeling?" I ask gently as she wakes up at 3pm. "I'm okay." She smiles.

I couldn't bring myself to tell Y/N that the chemo wasn't working. It took me until yesterday to tell her, because that's when her treatment was meant to be done. She didn't say anything when I broke the news, instead she nodded and spent the rest of the day cuddling in her bed watching tv with me. We ended up binge watching a whole season of 'Friends'.

Y/N moved over on her bed a patted beside her for me to come sit. "How are you feeling Мама?" She asks. "I'm okay." I smile, repeating her words. "You're such a liar." She rolls her eyes. "So are you." I laugh.

"We have 2 more episodes of 'Friends' left. Do you want to finish them with me?" She asks quietly. "I'd love too."

After we finished it Y/N decided she was tired and wanted to get some more sleep, so she rested her head on my chest. "Goodnight Мама. I love you so much." She mumbles. "Goodnight my beautiful girl. I love you more than anything else in the world." I say gently, placing a kiss on her forehead.

Every time I say goodnight to Y/N I'm scared it's going to be the last, but every time she woke up.

Except for this time.

——————

a/n: I'm sorry.

I know you wanted a happy ending

please don't hate me.

go eat some chocolate

I'm gonna go write some fluff now