2 - Meeting an Old Friend

We continue our march through the caverns, "If this is the Avatar's temple, why did the sages attack me?" The young Avatar questions.

"They've lost their way over the years. It's been a long time since you disappeared. They grew tired of waiting and changed their loyalties."

"They were waiting for me." I can hear the sadness in the young boy's voice.

"Hey don't feel bad. You're only a hundred years late!" I hear the water tribe boy say mockingly to the Avatar.

"Over time the sages gave up on the Avatar returning and were forced to fall in line with the Fire Nation after Sozin began the war... I don't hold any ties to this place so my loyalty has always been to the Avatar." I turn and smile at the young boy. "Now we have to climb these stairs to get to the sanctuary."

"Who are you anyway?" The water tribe boy points his finger at me accusingly.

"Did I forget to introduce myself? I'm Li Mei, but you can just call me Li."

"It is a pleasure to be your acquaintance Li Mei, and thank you for all your help. I'm Aang," Aang points at the other boy, "That's Sokka," and finally points at the girl, "And that's Katara."

"It's nice to meet all of you as well," I say with a smile and a small bow. We reach the top of the seemingly never-ending staircase, "We're here. Once we get into the sanctuary, wait until the light hits Roku's statue, that is when you will be able to speak with him." I reach up and slide the tile at the top of the stairs out of the way. I push myself up and out onto the floor, looking up I see our new biggest problem, "No." I groan.

"What's wrong?" Aang asks while climbing out of the floor himself.

"The doors to the sanctuary are closed." I groan again.

Aang runs to the door and starts pulling at it uselessly while Katara turns to look at me, "Can't you just open it with firebending? Like you did with the other door?"

"I'm afraid I cannot, this door requires all five Fire Sages to open it," I say, slumping my shoulders in defeat.

"Five fire blasts, huh? I think I can help you out." Sokka says, looking at me.

"How?" I reply with a bit of hope.

"This is a little trick I picked up from my father. I seal the lamp oil inside an animal skin casing, Li lights the oil-soaked twine and," Sokka holds the bag over his head with a proud smile, "Ta-da! Fake firebending!" I flash him a smile.

"You've really outdone yourself this time, Sokka," Katara says from beside me.

"This could work Sokka," I say, being impressed myself, placing my hand on his shoulder. He bumps my hand off his shoulder as he jumps up and starts shoving the bags into each of the dragon's mouths.

I face the teenagers, "The explosion will be loud so as soon as they go off, run in there before the other Fire Sages get here." I stand in front of the door while everyone else goes to hide behind the columns on either side of the door.

"It's almost sunset. Are you ready?"

"Definitely," I can hear Katara and Aang talking from behind my back.

I take a deep breath in and launch a small flare at the twine to light all the bags at once and quickly run to get some cover of my own. A huge explosion echoes through the halls. Aang runs from his hiding spot and tries to pull the door open but it still stays locked shut, "They're still locked!" He yells in shock. I sigh deeply and pinch my nose bridge, "It didn't work."

Aang begins banging his fists against the door until Katara grabs his arm, "Aang stop! There's nothing else we can do." Aang grows a sad expression, "I'm sorry I put you through all of this for nothing."

Sokka walks over to the door and drags his finger through the soot, "I don't get it. That explosion looked as strong as any firebending I've seen." We stand in silence before Katara bursts with excitement, "Sokka, you're a genius!"

"Wait. How is Sokka a genius? His plan didn't even work." Aang asks, confused. I nod my head in confused agreement. Sokka looks over at Aang, "Come on Aang. Let her dream."

"You're right. Sokka's plan didn't work. But it looks like it did." Katara replies with a smirk.

"Katara! You're the genius!" I run and grab her shoulders with a big smile on my face.

"Did the definition of genius change over the last hundred years?" Aang questions, still confused.

"You all need to hide, the rest of the Fire Sages are coming. Our plan is about to be set into motion." I say with a gesture of my arm.

The rest of the Fire Sages turn the corner and look at me, "The Avatar has gotten into the sanctuary, sir!" I exclaim at the head Fire Sage.

"How did he get in?" He questions me. "I'm not sure sir but, look!" I point to the shadow under the door, "And look at the scorch marks on the door!" I say now pointing to the dragon heads on the door.

"He's inside! Open the doors, immediately! Before he contacts Avatar Roku!" The head Fire Sage commands. I smirk from behind him. Idiot. All five of us stand in front of the door and send a fire blast into our respective dragon heads. The door slides open revealing a lemur sneezing and covered in soot.

"It's the Avatar's lemur. He must have crawled through the pipes! We've been tricked!" Our leader yells angrily. Everyone leaps into action, I pin the nearest sage to the column next to me, "Now's your chance Aang!" I yell at him.

Before Aang has the chance though, a boy with black hair tied in a ponytail and a scar on the left side of his face grabs Aang's arms and pulls them behind his back, "The Avatar's coming with me!" He declares.

I jump back before the Fire Sage I had pinned could grab me in my moment of shock. Katara and Sokka get grabbed by the remaining Fire Sages. The Avatar is being brought down the staircase by the angry teen. Aang creates a blast of air, sending the dark-haired boy down the rest of the stairs.

I stay light on my toes, avoiding any blasts of fire the sages send at me, also keeping a wary eye on the staircase in case the angry boy charges me. Aang runs towards Katara until she yells at him to go into the sanctuary. Aang slips in past the door and it finally shuts, leaving the rest of us on the other side to battle it out.

"He made it!" Katara exclaims happily. While distracted by Katara I'm grabbed and pushed towards the Fire Sages where I'm tied to another column. Looking at who pushed me I let out a deep breath, "Since when did you become so angry, Zuko?" I look at him with a deep scowl.

"Do I know you?" Zuko turns and snaps in my face.

"Are you saying you don't recognize an old friend?" I reply calmly.

"Girls are so annoying" Zuko stomps around the pond filled with turtle-ducks until he eventually takes up a spot next to me, "But, I'm a girl and you're sitting with me here right now." I throw another piece of bread to the turtle-ducks.

"You're different from other girls. They're crazy!" He says pointing at his sister and her friends. "What makes me different?" I question, putting down my bread and looking at him. I could see his face flush as he tried to hide it, "I don't know why Li. You just are." He turns and smiles at me.

"Is it because I act like a boy?" I say grabbing my bread again and throwing another small piece into the water. Zuko makes a choking noise from beside me looking at me with wide eyes, "What!? No! You act like a girl, you just don't act like they do." Zuko once again points to his sister.

"Then what is it? You must know. Why am I different?" I say leaning into his face, staring him down, "We're all girls, maybe I'm less crazy but how different does that really make me?"

"I don't know, okay!" Zuko blows up, "Maybe you're no different. You want to get into all my business just like they do!" Zuko kicks my remaining bread into the water while I make a feeble attempt to grab it. He looks at me one last time before stomping off back around the pond and into the manor.

"Li Mei." Zuko looks into my eyes, it almost seems as if he's looking right through my soul. He turns away quickly and keeps walking towards the large door. I can't explain the feeling in my heart, it feels painful but also happy at the same time. 

What happened to you, Zuko?