3 - An Unexpected Truce

Zuko joins the other Fire Sages and tries to open the door but once again, the door is locked shut, unable to be opened from the outside.

"Why isn't it working? It's sealed shut!" Zuko angrily yells at the Fire Sages.

"It must have been the light. Avatar Roku doesn't want us inside." The head Fire Sage responds to Zuko's angry remark. Zuko turns back around and glares at me. He marches up to me with a scowl.

"Did you need something, Firefly?" I smirk at him teasingly.

"Don't call me that!" Zuko yells into my face, "Why are you helping the Avatar?"

"Why not? Seemed like fun... Betraying the Fire Nation." I reply with a smile playing on my lips.

Another new voice echoes through the hall, "What a moving and heartfelt performance. I'm certain the Fire Lord will understand when you explain why you betrayed him."

"Because I really care what Fire Lord Ozai thinks." I spit back at the stranger.

The other Fire Sages bow and greet the stranger, "Commander Zhao."

"And Prince Zuko. It was a noble effort, but your little smokescreen didn't work." Zhao's soldiers grab Zuko and pull his arms behind his back, "Two traitors in one day, the Fire Lord will be pleased."

"You're too late, Zhao! The Avatar's inside and the doors are sealed." Zuko snaps back,

"No matter. Sooner or later, he has to come out." Zhao states confidently. I share a concerned look with Sokka and Katara.

"When those doors open, unleash all your firepower!" Shouts Zhao to all his men. I can see Katara and Sokka talking from their column on the other side of the hall though, I am too far to hear what they speak of.

The large door starts glowing white and slowly begins to open, revealing a bright light shining through the crack in the door forcing me to squint my eyes.

"Ready.." Zhao begins, "Fire!"

Before the fire can strike the Avatar, it begins to swirl around the true target which appears to be... Avatar Roku? Roku sends the fire blasts back at the soldiers, knocking them down and melting the chains that bind my arms in the process.

I look at the two other teens, "We have to get out of here! Roku is going to wipe this temple off the map!" I yell at them, pointing towards the exit.

"Not without Aang!" Katara yells back.

I leap over the pool of lava that Roku has now sent purging on the temple. Reaching the others I join them in hiding behind the column waiting for Aang to reveal himself. The smoke from the room slowly pulls back into the sanctuary as I peer around the edge of the column. Once the smoke fully retracts it reveals the slumped figure of Aang in the center of the room.

The three of us run to Aang's aid before he comes crashing to the ground. Aang looks up at me with his tired eyes, "Are you coming with us Li Mei? I could use a firebending teacher."

"I'm afraid not, Avatar Aang. I have some unfinished business to deal with. But, if we meet again in the future, you will be sure to find a friend in me." I finish by placing a quick kiss on the top of the Avatar's bald head.

I turn my attention to Sokka and Katara, "I hope we'll meet again. Good luck." I stand and wave to them as I run off down the hallway.

I am almost at the front door of the sanctuary when a strong hand grabs my robes by the neck and pulls me back almost causing me to fall.

"Are you trying to get captured?" A husky voice scolds from behind me.

"I didn't know you cared so much, Zuko," I say, turning to him with a pout wiping fake tears from my eyes.