31 - Dancing Dragon... Again

I sit on a small piece of rubble and watch Zuko and Aang. To keep watch over the Avatar to make sure Zuko doesn't try to pull anything.

"I know you're nervous, but remember, firebending in it of itself is not something to fear," Zuko instructs.

"Okay. Not something to fear." Aang sighs deeply.

"But if you don't respect it," Zuko's voice raises, "It'll chew you up and spit you out like an angry komodo rhino!" Aang yelps with fear, "Now show me what you've got. Any amount of fire you can make."

The young Avatar pushes his right hand outward but only a small puff of smoke arises, "Maybe I need a little more instruction. Perhaps a demonstration?"

"Good idea. You might wanna take a couple steps back." Zuko warns. He thrust his fist out but only a flame came out from it. I cover my mouth to suppress a laugh and Zuko glares at me, "What was that? That was the worst firebending I've ever seen!" He looks at his hand.

"I thought it was... Nice." Aang comments. Zuko attempts to bend again but still only a small flame emerges, "Why is this happening?"

"Maybe it's the altitude," Aang suggests, rubbing his head in confusion.

"Yeah, could be." Zuko agrees.

-

The boys and I move to a different section of the temple. Zuko tries to firebend again but comes to the same result as in the previous location.

"Just breathe, and..." He punches the air and a slightly larger flame forms.

"That one kind of felt hot." Aang compliments lazily.

"Don't patronize me! You know what it's supposed to look like!" The older boy snaps.

"Sorry, Sifu Hotman."

Zuko throws his arms up in the air out of rage, "And stop calling me that!"

"Maybe you should try, Li. It might have something to do with the atmosphere here." Aang suggests with a shrug.

I stand up from my seat and place myself a few feet away from Zuko. I breathe deeply before thrusting my hand outwards. A large orange flame bursts from my palm.

"I don't think you can blame the altitude anymore. You're just bad." I smirk at Zuko who has started grumbling under his breath.

"Hey, jerks! Mind if I watch you three jerks do your jerkbending?" I hear Sokka's voice from behind me.

"Get out of here!" The grumpy prince lashes out at the younger teen.

"Okay, take it easy." Sokka drops his half-eaten apple and walks away, "I was just kiddin' around."

"Calm down, Zuko," I say, sitting back down.

"I am calm!" He shouts.

"Right..." I sigh heavily.

-

The day drags on and neither boy has made any progress on their firebending. I gather with the rest of the group for dinner.

"Listen, everybody, I've got some pretty bad news. I've lost my stuff." Zuko joins us. Toph raises both hands above her head, "Don't look at me, I didn't touch your stuff."

"I'm talking about my firebending. It's gone." Zuko says dejectedly. From next to me, Katara starts to laugh and everyone looks at her with shock and confusion.

"I'm sorry. I'm just laughing at the irony. You know, how it would've been nice for us if you lost your firebending a long time ago."

I chuckle lightly at Katara's statement.