7 - Dancing Dragon

I move one of the pieces on the Pai Sho table. Closeby the Captain informs Zuko, "We haven't been able to pick up the Avatar's trail since the storm, but if we continue heading northeast ..."

Before Zuko can rage, a large Fire Nation ship pulls up next to ours, "What do they want?" Zuko asks in his grumpy nature.

"Perhaps, a sporting game of Pai Sho!" Iroh chimes in.

A soldier from the other ship walks into our command deck, "The hunt for the Avatar has been given prime importance. All information regarding the Avatar must be reported directly to Admiral Zhao." The soldier tells Zuko, holding a picture of the Avatar.

"Zhao has been promoted? Well, good for him!" Iroh moves a Pai Sho piece forwards and I smack my face with my hand knowing my defeat this round is imminent. Zuko scowls, "I've got nothing to report to Admiral Zhao. Now get off my ship and let us pass."

"Admiral Zhao is not allowing ships in or out of this area." The soldier retorts.

"Off my ship!" Zuko yells.

Iroh moves his tile winning the game, "Excellent! I take the pot!" I groan in defeat, "But you're improving! I'm certain you will win if we play again." I smile at Iroh, "Challenge accepted."

-

I sit on the deck watching Zuko practise his firebending, he can be quite beautiful when he isn't trying. His fire perfectly reflects the orange hues of the sunset behind him. Iroh approaches Zuko causing the prince to halt his performance, "Is everything okay? It's been almost an hour and you haven't given the men an order."

"I don't care what they do." For once Zuko's voice is not laced with arrogance and pride. Iroh shifts his expression to one of empathy, "Don't give up hope yet. You can still find the Avatar before Zhao."

Zuko turns to face his uncle with a face filled with fear and desperation, making my heart sink, "How, Uncle? With Zhao's resources, it's just a matter of time before he captures the Avatar," He turns back to face the front of the ship. I stand up, moving next to him as he whispers, "My honour, my throne, my country, I'm about to lose them all."

I nudge the prince with my arm, "As much as I hate you going after the Avatar. I promise not to let you lose anything." I smile looking into the sunset.

"And how do you plan on keeping that promise?" I can feel his eyes focused on my side profile. I keep my gaze locked on the orange sun, "I'm not sure yet," I turn and make contact with his golden eyes, "But I'll try anything."

-

I'm sewing up all the holes in my clothes when I hear a knock on my door, "Zuko?" I say walking over to the door, opening it to reveal Iroh, "Were you expecting someone else?" He raises an eyebrow.

"What!?" I feel my face heat up, "No!" I chuckle nervously. Iroh keeps smiling, "Good. Then would you like to join the crew for music night?"

"I would love to." I open my door the rest of the way and slip out following Iroh to the deck.

"Can you sing, Li Mei?" Iroh asks me as I take a seat in the circle.

"Sorry I can't, but I can sort of dance." Iroh gestures for me to get up. I stand up as he starts to play his tsungi horn. I close my eyes letting the music guide me, I lightly travel across the floor swaying my body. I leap into the air landing in an elegant roll getting me back to my feet. Spinning around I open my eyes and smile at the crew.

Though they are not my real family, they are the closest thing I have felt to a family in almost four years. I finish dancing as the music slows.

"You dance like a dragon," Iroh compliments with a big smile.

"Thank you. My mother taught me," I look down at my feet, " Shall we do another song?" I try to hide my sadness.

-

I collapse on the seat next to Iroh, completely exhausted from all the dancing the night prior. I open my eyes when I hear footsteps approaching. Zuko walks past, "Where have you been, Prince Zuko? You missed music night! Lieutenant Jee sang a stirring love song. And Li Mei danced quite brilliantly." Iroh says, "You would have liked to see her."

"I'm going to bed. No disturbances." Zuko leaves the deck.

"He seems to be in an even worse mood than usual and I didn't even think that was possible," I comment. Iroh shrugs.