14 - The Moon Spirit

Zuko and I continue our trek through the snowy tundra to the point where I cannot feel my feet anymore. Just when things seemed as though they couldn't get any worse the ground starts to crack behind us.

"Monkey-feathers!" I shout as we start sprinting away from the cracking ice and snow. The cracked ice is gaining on us until Zuko grabs my hand and jumps, sending us tumbling down a small hill. I cough up the snow that had gotten into my mouth from the fall.

Once we regain our composure Zuko points to a small cave, "Shelter."

Zuko drags Aang behind him as we get into the small cave. I sit down and curl up wrapping my arms around my legs watching him tie up Aang. My heart drops at the sight but I don't do anything to stop him. I know Aang will be okay. Zuko isn't smart enough to successfully capture him. I close my eyes feeling exhausted.

"I finally have you, but I can't get you home because of this blizzard." Zuko starts talking to Aang's unconscious body, "There's always something. Not that you would understand. You're like my sister. Everything always came easy to her. She's a firebending prodigy, and everyone adores her. My father says she was born lucky. He says I was lucky to be born. I don't need luck, though. I don't want it. I've always had to struggle and fight and that's made me strong. It's made me who I am." Zuko keeps talking, thinking that I am asleep. He takes a deep breath, "Guess we'll be here a while."

I open my eyes and move to take off my coat. Zuko looks at me with shocked eyes, realizing that I heard everything he just said. I throw my coat on the ground.

"You'll die without a coat," Zuko warns.

"I'll die with a coat if I get so cold I can't firebend." I extend my hand out to my coat, it bursts into flames. I send my apologies to Team Avatar for spending their money on what's now a very expensive campfire. I curl up closer to the fire. I gesture to Zuko to come closer but he remains in his spot near the entrance of the cave.

"Why did you come with me?" Zuko turns his attention to me.

"If I stayed there Katara would have just yelled at me as soon as she woke up... And I need to make sure that nothing happens to Aang." I glance at the Avatar, "Even if the outcome of protecting him is my death,"

"We're not going to die."

"You know, I never imagined myself dying in a cave in the North Pole with you." I say ignoring his previous statement, "Just like the old days, huh, Firefly?"

"This is nothing like when we were kids." He scoffs.

"You're right. You were happy when we were kids. And I didn't hate my life." I smile fakely at him before letting it turn into a frown. He just scowls and turns to look at the blizzard again.

Out of boredom, I start to bend shapes in the fire. I make circles and waves bending around each other.

"What are you doing?" Zuko says, making me jump, flustered.

"I was just making shapes in the fire." I blurt out.

Zuko moves closer to the fire and closer to me, "Okay, whatever," Zuko looks at me unconvinced. Feeling cold, I scoot closer to him and lean my head on his shoulder. I can feel his body stiffen, but he does not move me off his shoulder.

A bright light fills the cave and Aang starts to wiggle in his restraints. Zuko moves to stand in front of Aang. Bumping me off his shoulder, "Welcome back."

"It's good to be back." Aang replies. I walk slowly next to Zuko, "Hey, Aang." I wave sheepishly.

"Li?" Aang looks at me shocked, "What are you doing here?"