4 - Painful Memories

Awaking to the sound of blasts with a jump, I look around my surroundings before remembering where I am. I have yet to get used to the cold metal walls covered in Fire Nation propaganda. I pull on my robes leaving the upper shawl on the ground trying to make myself look less formal. Stretching my arms above my head I walk over to my door and open it following the sounds of yelling and fire blasts to the upper deck.

I squint my eyes as I open the door leading to the upper deck. Once my eyes adjust to the bright sunlight, I see Zuko duking it out with Lieutenant Jee until the boat jerks sideways causing me to lurch into the wall to my right.

"Someone's changing our course." The grumpy prince concludes before staring up at the top of the ship and then tromping off. I walk fully onto the deck and am greeted by the Lieutenant, "Good morning Li Mei. Are you up for some training?" I shrug off my upper robes and look at Lieutenant Jee, "I've never turned down a chance to practice." I declare taking my stance in front of Jee, my arms held up in a defensive position.

"You have the stance of an earthbender," Jee comments as we continue to circle each other. I stomp my foot on the ground, sending a wave of fire toward the Lieutenant. He leaps out of the way of my flames, "You fight like an earthbender too." He comments again.

"I've been told." I return. Flipping forward, launching another blast of fire towards him, dodging as he kicks a blade of flames at my head. A loud blast from behind me distracts me from Jee's direct attack, landing me on the floor of the deck, "Never get distracted by your surroundings," Jee informs me while I flip off the floor my shirt lifting slightly due to the momentum, "Where did you get that scar?" Jee asks me pointing toward my right arm.

"I burned myself while training," I give him an innocent smile, "I'm really accident-prone," As soon as the Lieutenant nods his head and turns away I drop my smile and look down at the large scar covering my arm.

I sit watching Azula and Zuko fight against each other, blasting fire blast after fire blast. Azula nimbly jumps around Zuko's attempts while all her attacks knock him down.

"You can beat her, Firefly!" I cheer from my seat on the edge of the wooden walkway between sections of the palace. Zuko smiles at me and launches another blast at Azula, finally landing a hit on her. Azula's face twists in rage as she begins creating a storm of fire, launching it at Zuko. Zuko narrowly escapes and launches his biggest fire blast yet - but at the last moment - Azula who was standing right in front of me moves out of the way. I reach my arm out to block the incoming blast. A strong stinging sensation in my right arm overwhelms my senses.

"LI MEI!" I hear Zuko's voice call, he sounds so far away. My vision blurs with tears as I try to make out Zuko's face in front of me, "I didn't mean to hit you! It was Azula's fault! She wanted me to hurt you!" A warm embrace touches me from behind as the familiar voice of Ursa echoes in my ears, "What happened Zuko?" Her voice is soothing and calm.

"Azula made me hit Li with my firebending!" Zuko shouts pointing at his sister, "And why would Azula do that?" Ursa said with more grimace in her voice as she moves her gaze to Azula and her friends.

"Because she knows...She knows about... I don't know." Zuko's voice gets quieter as he keeps talking, "Alright Zuko, You stay here I'm going to get Li Mei some medical attention." Ursa's voice returns to its calm nature when talking to Zuko. Her arms reach around my body and lift me up and away from Zuko.

I smile sadly at my scar remembering the old memory from when I was a kid.

-

We pull into a harbour as I lean over the bars of the deck. I skip over to the bridge leading to the land, "Not you." Zuko stops me with his arm.