30 - Rekindling

"This is humiliating." Katara groans as we trudge through the blistering hot and dry land.

"You mean getting thoroughly spanked by the Fire Nation or having to walk all the way to the Western Air Temple?" Sokka responds.

"Both."

I kick small rocks and pebbles to distract myself from the blistering heat beaming down on our backs.

"Sorry guys, but Appa gets tired carrying all these people." Aang apologizes on behalf of the sky bison.

"I wonder how the rest of the troops are." Teo - the boy I had met at the Northern Air Temple - thinks aloud.

"They're probably on their way to a prison. Seems like my dad just got out and now he's going back in." Replies a boy who I now know as Haru.

"I miss Pipsqueak." The small boy named The Duke comments from behind me.

"I miss not having blisters on my feet." Sokka complains. I look over my shoulder at him, "I second that."

Suddenly Toph stomps down on the ground, "Hey, we're here! I can feel it!" I look around at the area, but the only thing in front of us is a large cliff.

"Uhhh ... I think your feet need their eyes checked." Katara takes the words out of my mouth.

"No, she's right. We are here!" Aang adds. I step closer to the edge and peer down into the fog-filled chasm.

"Wow... It's amazing." Toph gawks.

"Looks really cool," I say sarcastically which makes Sokka snicker.

-

The group of us climb onto Appa's back and he flies us down into the large cavern. My eyes widen once I see the upside-down Air Temples hanging off the cliff, "It's beautiful." I gape. Out of the corner of my eye, I spot a flash of red before it disappears behind one of the structures. Probably just a trick of the eye.

I hop off of Appa's back and land on the concrete surface of the temple.

"It's so different from the Northern Air Temple. I wonder if there are any secret rooms." Teo's eyes trace the structure.

"Let's go check it out!" Haru says excitedly. The Duke and Teo follow after him. Aang attempts to follow but Katara stops him, "You guys go. I think we need to talk about some things." She says. The group of boys go running off.

"Why can't I go?" Aang whines.

"We need to decide what we're gonna do now, and since you're the Avatar, maybe you should be a part of this," Katara says as I join the group sitting down on some rubble.

"Fair enough. So, what's the new plan?" The young Avatar asks.

"Well, if you ask me, the new plan is the old plan! You just need to master all four elements and confront the Fire Lord before the comet comes." Sokka answers.

"Oh, yeah. That's great, no problem. I'll just do that." Aang retorts sarcastically.

"Aang, no one said it's going to be easy." Katara soothes.

"Well, it's not even gonna be possible! Where am I supposed to get a firebending teacher?" After Aang asks his question everyone's heads except for Toph turn to me, "No. No, no, no, no no!" I wave my hands, "We've been here before... And it didn't work."

"We could look for Jeong Jeong!" Katara suggests.

"Yeah ... right." Aang lays down, "Like we'll ever run into Jeong Jeong again."

The memory of the flash of red I saw earlier comes to my mind. It can't be. What Iroh said to me surfaces.

Remember what's important.