21 - Appa

I tie my apron around my waist and set off into the shop. I bob and weave between customers with a tray full of cups of tea.

"Chamomile," I place a cup of tea in front of an elderly woman who smiles up at me, "Such a beautiful girl." I feel my face heat up slightly, "Thank you." I turn away but am faced with a man speaking to Iroh.

"So, you're the genius behind this incredible brew. The whole city is buzzing about you! I hope Pao pays you well."

"Good tea is its own reward." Iroh returns.

"But it doesn't have to be the only reward. How would you like to have your own tea shop?" The man suggests which perks my interest.

"My own tea shop? This is a dream come true!" Iroh exclaims. Pao runs up to the two, "What's going on here? Are you trying to poach my tea-maker?"

"Sorry Pao, but that's business for you, am I right?" The man replies.

"Mushi, if you stay, I'll make you assistant manager. Wait, senior assistant manager!" Pao tries to compensate.

"I'll provide you with a new apartment in the Upper Ring. The tea shop is yours to do whatever you want, complete creative freedom." The man continues with his offer.

"I even get to name the shop?" Iroh gets even more excited.

"Of course."

"Uh, senior executive assistant manager?" Pao pushes to keep Iroh working for him. Iroh however, hands the pot of tea to Pao and bows to the man agreeing to his terms. Zuko follows quickly.

I stand alone near Pao and he glances at me with hope but I take off my own apron and put it in his hands, "Sorry, Pao. This is an offer I can't turn down."

"Did you hear, nephew? This man wants to give us our own tea shop in the Upper Ring of the city!" Iroh informs Zuko.

"That's right, young man, your life is about to change for the better!" The man says to him.

"I'll try to contain my joy," Zuko grumbles, slamming the door on his way out of the tea shop. I open the door slowly after him and stand next to him but suddenly from the sky papers begin to rain.

"What are those?" I try to get a hold of one of them but Zuko beat me to it. I move closer to him to look over his shoulder. It's a poster of Appa the sky bison. He's missing.

"Zuko," I start, pushing the paper away and looking at him from the front, "You can't."

"You can't stop me." He frowns and jumps up onto the roof of a nearby house, searching the sky for any sign of the Avatar. I follow him up there.

"We have a fresh start here." I grab his hand from behind, "Don't you want to forget all those things from your past?" I squeeze his hand but in response, he pulls it away.

"I have a chance to get the Avatar's bison which will lead me to the Avatar. I can get my honour back."

"And what about me?" I cross my arms.

"You can come with me." He says without thinking.

"I don't really think the Fire Lord wants me, a banished girl, waltzing into his home with her arm entangled with his son's. I don't have any honour to gain, the Fire Lord would just kick me out or imprison me."

"I wouldn't let him." Zuko asserts.

"No offence, but I don't think you would be able to win an argument with the Fire Lord." I turn away from him, "Just forget it..." I jump on the roof and walk off.