22 - A Conflict of Emotions

I wake to the sound of Iroh's voice.

"You're burning up." I can hear the sound of water, "You have an intense fever."

I open my eyes to find that I am now laying alone. I roll over to see that Zuko is now lying near the window under some blankets.

Iroh places a cloth onto his head, "This will help you cool down." I slowly sit up and crawl my way over to Zuko's body. He is shirtless which would be something I would usually care about more, but at the moment I am more worried about his well-being.

"So thirsty," Zuko groans, lifting himself slightly. Iroh pushes him back down. Iroh fills a wooden spoon with water and tilts it into Zuko's mouth. Zuko quickly drains the water and throws the spoon behind him, almost hitting me. He reaches to the bucket full of water and tips it into his mouth making water spill everywhere. After his fill, Zuko turns to face me and curls up back to sleep.

Iroh gets up and makes a pot of tea, "Would you like some?" He gestures a cup in my direction. I nod my head tiredly. I accept the warm cup and hold it in my lap. My eyes subconsciously close but I jolt back upright after a few seconds.

"You should get some rest. You'll end up sick too if you do not sleep, Li Mei." Iroh instructs. I nod my head slowly but do not obey. I remain sitting, staring at the sleeping boy in front of me.

"You should know that this is not a natural sickness, but that shouldn't stop you from enjoying tea," Iroh speaks to Zuko. Iroh helps Zuko sit up and also helps him drink his tea.

"What's happening?" The prince questions.

"Your critical decision. What you did beneath that lake. It was in such conflict with your image of yourself that you are now at war within your own mind and body," Iroh answers.

"What's that mean?" Zuko coughs and lays back down.

"You are going through a metamorphosis, my nephew. It will not be a pleasant experience, but when you come out of it." Iroh dabs Zuko's head with a cloth again, "You will be the beautiful prince you were always meant to be." I smile at Iroh's words imagining what that version of Zuko would be like. Hopefully less grumpy. I stretch my arms above my head placing my still full cup of tea on the floor next to Zuko.

"I should head home, Iroh." I push myself up and my tired legs can barely hold my weight, "I'll be back once I get some proper sleep." I open the door and slip out trying to make very little noise to not disturb Zuko in his unrestful sleep.

-

"You're finally home," My mother says, holding a couple of knitting needles in her hands.

"Shouldn't you be working at the bakery right now?" I ask, slipping off my shoes.

"I'm letting someone else manage for the day. Where have you been?"

"Iroh and Zuko's apartment," I slouch down into one of the two chairs, "Zuko's ill."

"Does he need anything? I can get some medicinal herbs from the small shop down the street."

"No, Iroh says this is something Zuko has to fight off on his own. Now, if you don't mind. I'm going to go to bed and sleep for a very long time." I stand from the chair and drag my feet to my own bedroom, not even bothering to change my clothes. I lie on the bed and as soon as I close my eyes, sleep takes me.

When I wake it is dark outside due to the fact that I went to sleep in the middle of the day. I throw my blankets off my body and head to the front door sliding my shoes on. My mother has already gone to bed but I'm sure she won't mind if I slip out to Iroh and Zuko's place.

I knock gently on their door standing alone in the hall. There is a sound of footsteps and then the door swings open.

"Come in, Li Me.," Iroh welcomes me and I can see the dark circles forming under his eyes, "Iroh you should get some rest. I'll look after Zuko for a while."

"That is very kind of you Li Mei bu-" I put a hand on his shoulder interrupting him, "Please, get some rest." Iroh nods in agreement and slides open the door to the other room leaving me and Zuko alone. Zuko groans and tosses in his sleep. I grab the cloth from beside his head and dip it into a bucket of water. Ringing out excess water I place the damp cloth upon his boiling hot forehead.

"You'll make it through this, Firefly," I promise. Zuko's hand grabs my own tightly. His eyes remain shut so I'm not sure if he is consciously doing so. I squeeze his hand back in reassurance. I put the cloth back into the water again and attempt to ring the water out with only one hand which I miserably fail at so I place the very wet cloth back on Zuko's head which makes a slapping sound. I panic for a moment that I may have woken him by slapping him with a wet cloth but luckily he does not stir.

I release my hand and move to the stove where I light the pile of wood under the pot with some small spark rocks. The water bubbles and I pour a nice cup of tea for myself before I realize my cup from earlier today still sits untouched on the floor. I walk over and pick it up, leaving it on the counter to avoid it getting accidentally knocked over.

I sip my tea leaning out the window, feeling the cool night's breeze brush past me pushing some of my hair into my face. I sip my tea and quietly hum a tune to myself to keep me distracted until Zuko wakes up.

-

It has been several hours and he has yet to make any move at all. I'm starting to wonder if he's dead. I've just finished my fourth cup of tea and I'm anxiously making another. I understand that he will eventually get over this but I can't help but make myself worry for the time being. Zuko twists himself and I turn my head around so quickly I almost get whiplash, but he is not awake; he still is deep in his mental battle.

I take my now fifth cup of tea and sit back down next to Zuko. Grabbing his hand in my own, I sit waiting for his awakening.