16 - An Unexpected Guest

The feeling of waking up and just being able to relax is starting to become routine for me. I don't need to sit and worry about what crazy things the day before me may contain. Life is simple in this town. The same people pass by every day and follow the same daily chores. It's early morning and I slip out of the house and head down to the market.

"Good morning Li Mei," The merchant says as I approach.

"Good morning to you too. Do you have it?" I ask.

"I always hold it for you," He hands me the largest bag of rice he has, "Don't forget this," He places a small box of tea leaves on top of the bag.

"Thank you," I hand him a few silver coins.

"Has Nuwa returned yet?" He inquires.

I shake my head in response, "She said it should take a while to find a place to stay in Ba Sing Se. Most people from nearby villages have also found refuge there so the whole city is swamped."

"I wish you and Nuwa luck, Li Mei."

"Thank you very much." I bow my head to him and am about to head back home when I see a scar-faced boy walking through the village centre. I almost drop everything in my hands at the sight of him. I run over and tap his shoulder. He jumps at my touch but clams down once he sees who I am.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, looking over his messy appearance.

"I'm just here to get something to eat."

"You can come and eat something at my home. It's free. I'll even let you stay the night."

"And why should I trust you?"

"What reason do you have to not trust me? From looking at you I can tell you need a good meal and a place to sleep. You can bring your ostrich-horse." I point to the animal tethered to a post behind him.

"Fine."

"Good. I'm not letting you starve on my watch. Where's Iroh? I just got some fresh tea leaves he would love."

"He's not here," Zuko answers briskly.

"Alright then..." I say suspiciously. I grab his hand with my one free hand, "Let's go!" I drag him through the village and to my doorstep.

"You live here? Where did you get all the money?" He says as I let him into the front hall.

"My mother. I found her," I smile at him and he looks slightly shocked.

"So, is she here?" He looks around.

"No, she's in Ba Sing Se. But, we should be careful because she could come at any minute and I'm not sure how she feels about you."

"What do you mean 'feels about me'?" Zuko sits down at the table.

"I'm not sure if she hates you or loves you. She may have some weird hatred by association because of your father. But, as I said, I don't know." I wash the rice and put it into a pot and pour some water into it. I light the woodstove with my hand placing the pot on top.

"I like your haircut." I point to his head, "Much better than the ponytail I have to say." Zuko has no reaction to my comment, "What have you been doing since I last saw you?" I change the subject.

"Azula is here." He states calmly, making me choke on my spit, "Crazy sister Azula?" Zuko nods his head seriously.

"How do you know?" I ask.

"She tried to capture me and my uncle. She said that my father had forgiven me and wanted me home. She was lying." He stares down at the table in anger.