12 - Confrontation

Appa flies slowly just above the water, "I'm not one to complain, but can't Appa fly any higher?" Sokka questions hanging over the side of the saddle. After Sokka says that Appa dips even lower, skimming his feet along the top of the water.

"I have an idea! Why don't we all get on your back and you could fly us to the North Pole?!" Aang says, irritated.

"I'd love to. Climb on everyone," Sokka shakes his butt, "Sokka's ready for take-off!" I move over and flop onto Sokka's back along with Momo.

"Sokka, yip-yip," I say using the phrase that makes Appa fly.

"Alright, get off." Sokka stands on his knees, knocking me off his back.

"Look, we're all just a little tired and cranky because we've been flying for two days straight," Katara says, looking at the two of us.

"Speak for yourself, I'm completely happy being back to travelling for days in a row." I lay back on the saddle extending my legs across Sokka's legs.

"Of course, I forgot about the fun sailing trip you had with your Fire Nation boyfriend," Katara says rudely. Before I can give her a piece of my mind, Sokka speaks up, "We've been travelling for two days straight for what? We can't even find the Northern Water Tribe. There's nothing up here."

We all slump down nearly falling asleep until a giant ice spike comes jutting out of the water directly at us, Aang steers Appa out of the way quickly making the three of us passengers in the saddle almost fall into the water. We all scream simultaneously as Aang steers away from ice spike after ice spike. Appa's leg gets trapped by one of the ice spikes, spinning us around until we get completely frozen in place.

"I think I'm gonna hurl!" I say, covering my mouth.

Several boats emerge from behind the ice spikes, "They're waterbenders!" Katara says happily, "We found the Water Tribe!" My jaw drops. I start rifling through our bags of stuff, "What are you doing?" Katara says judgmentally, trying to pull me away from the bags.

"I'm a firebender going into the Northern Water Tribe, does that sound like a good idea to you?"

"Well if you knew this was going to be a problem why did you come with us?" Katara crosses her arms.

"Can you stop trying to get rid of me for two seconds?" I pull one of Sokka's spare shirts over my clothes, "I didn't know we were going to the North Pole until after I joined you, remember." Katara sticks her tongue out at me.

A large ice wall appears ahead of us while we get escorted by the Northern Tribe folk, "There it is!" Aang points excitedly. As we get closer a section of the wall lowers allowing us to pass through. Once we pass through the first door we get cleared through a second passage leading us into a channel.

"I can't believe how many waterbenders live up here!" Katara gasps. I am quite impressed myself, having never been to either of the water tribes before.

"We'll find a master to teach us, no problem," Aang declares. We follow our escort through the channels of the Northern Water Tribe being greeted by people all the way. Sokka jumps out of the saddle and goes to stand on Appa's tail, "This place is beautiful," Katara continues gawking.

"Yeah, she is," Sokka drools over a beautiful girl with white hair. I lean out of the saddle pulling on Sokka's ponytail, "Get your mind out of the gutter!"

-

A group of drummers welcome us at our dinner, along with many of the important figures of the Northern Water Tribe.

"Tonight, we celebrate the arrival of our brother and sisters from the Southern Tribe. And they have brought with them, someone very special, someone whom many of us believed disappeared from the world until now... the Avatar!" The crowd cheers, "We also celebrate my daughter's sixteenth birthday. Princess Yue is now of marrying age!" The beautiful girl with white hair approaches our table, "Thank you, Father. May the great Ocean and Moon Spirits watch over us during these troubled times!"