5 - Training Days

I breathe the fresh air on the deck as I bring my body into different firebending movements.

"Relax your soul, let yourself be one with the energy in your body." I open one eye to look at Iroh who has a smile on his face. I close my eye again pushing my right arm upwards, I can feel the heat of the flames kissing my skin.

I put my feet together, turning back to Iroh and bowing to him with one hand in a fist below my other flat hand, "Thank you for the training, Iroh. I really appreciate it." I wipe the sweat from my brow.

I look over my shoulder to watch Zuko train with Lieutenant Jee. Zuko's fighting style is very aggressive as he repeatedly thrusts his fists at the Lieutenant.

"That is all for today Prince Zuko." Lieutenant Jee says as he turns away from Zuko.

"But we've barely done any training!" Zuko angrily replies. I roll my eyes and walk over to the outraged prince, "I'll spar with you." I say looking him in the eyes.

"No." Zuko leaves me standing alone.

"Why not, Firefly? I can hold my own or," I run up to his side, "Are you worried you'll hurt me again?" I whisper.

"I'm not worried about anything!" He stomps back into the middle of the deck taking a fighting stance, "Are you going to fight me or are you just going to stand there?" He grumbles. I walk a few feet in front of him taking my own stance.

Zuko starts blasting shots at me as soon as I am ready. I quickly dance around all of them. I stomp on the ground sending a fireball up to eye level kicking it in the prince's direction. Quickly running to his other side I swipe my foot along the deck creating a blade of fire heading to his feet. He agilely jumps away from the two attacks launching his own attack with a thrust of his foot. I roll to the floor landing in a crouch. Breathing deeply I leap at Zuko blasting flames from both my hands, Zuko leans back making me soar over his body, landing on the other side of him. Leaning onto my hands I flip my legs above my head sending flames out in all directions. Flipping backwards onto my feet I watch Zuko from across me. Our breathing is in sync as we continue to circle each other looking for an opening. Clapping distracts me from my focus.

"Very good!" Iroh cheers from the upper deck giving Zuko the upper hand. He kicks my feet from under me. As soon as I fall to the ground Zuko's flaming fist is glowing in front of my face. His body leans over my own. I can feel my face flush slightly at the position we're in, hoping I can just blame it on the heat of the flames.

Zuko pulls back wiping his hands on his pants, I push myself off the ground into a sitting position, heaving a big sigh. Slowing my breathing to calm my racing heart.

After my heart rate calms down I stand up and walk to the upper deck where Iroh sits at his Pai Sho table. I take a seat across from him, "You made me lose." I snark.

Iroh simply smiles at me, "I did not want my nephew's pride to be hurt when you won."

I drop my jaw slightly, "You really think I would have won?"

"Indeed, you are a strong fighter, Li Mei." I smile gently at the older man's words.

"But, Zuko's as good as they come. I'm not better than him." I shake my head.

"Prince Zuko is a strong fighter, but he is reckless. You are calm and calculated. That gives you the advantage."

"Thanks, Iroh," I say softly. "There is something I've been meaning to ask you about Iroh," Iroh hums in approval still looking at his Pai Sho table, "I was wondering if you could teach me lightning bending."

Iroh looks up from the Pai Sho table with a serious expression. "Lightning bending is a very dangerous form of bending. You must be sound in mind and soul to achieve it. But, I know that with your stubbornness, I will not be able to stop you from wanting to learn... So, tonight when the ship docks to resupply we will train upon the land where it is safer." He nods his head looking back down to his Pai Sho table.