twenty

Aurora
I never want to move again, this is by far the worst process ever. Settling back in the states felt a bit strange since I was just getting used to Australia but nevertheless, I had a new place to call home.

"This box is yours, it got mixed with mine," My roommate, Nataly, said as she kicked the box towards the direction of my room. It slid across the shiny wooden floor, gently connecting with my door frame.

"So close," I shook my head since she missed kicking it directly into my room and she mocked me in a tone that sounded nothing like me. "I don't sound like that," I glared as I picked up two boxes and walked over to the kitchen.

I resisted the urge to fling them across the island to speed up the process of getting rid of all the boxes. We were about forty percent done which wasn't bad considering we had only officially moved in a couple of hours ago.

I unpacked everything and placed labels outside of each cabinet, just until we could remember the placement of each item. Once that was over with, I continued helping Nataly set up the living room.

We moved the couch about a hundred times until we came to an agreement about the placement. I plopped down almost immediately on it and tied my hair up into a sad excuse of a bun. "I'm so tired," I complained and she agreed while taking up the other side of the couch.

It was fairly good weather for Pennsylvania today and instead of going on a nice walk or a bike ride, we were stuck trying to finish an entire moving process in one day to get it over with.

"Wanna go out and get some food?" She asked and without hesitation, I bolted out of the seat and into my room to grab the first pair of shoes I could find. We made our way down to the lobby and greeted the security guard before stepping out into the sunny atmosphere.

"Before you ask, I'll eat anything." Nataly said as if she read my mind and we walked to the local plaza where there were a variety of different stores and restaurants. I picked the first restaurant I saw and fortunately for us, we got seated almost immediately.

It was only eleven in the morning, meaning there was plenty of time before I send my daily joke to Malcum. "Just text him, you don't have to wait until almost five," Nataly said without looking up from her menu. "Are you a mind reader or something? You're freaking me out."

She was right though. I didn't have to wait until five, I just didn't want to bother him all day. Hence why I text at the same time. I decided to just wait until 4:44pm and I put my phone away to look at the menu.

-

"Done!" I called out once I broke down the last box and stuffed it with the rest of them. Apartment finally unpacked. I laid down on my newly put together bed and scrolled through twitter to see if my favorite band posted anything new. Nope. 4:40pm. I began typing out my jokes and waited excitedly to send it.

iMessage 4:44PM

aurora: how does the moon cut his hair?

malcum: he doesn't, he's bald

aurora: he does, eclipse it

malcum: ?

aurora: read it out loud babe

malcum: babe?

aurora: haaaa lol stop, that was an accident

malcum: babe? 😏

aurora: block? 😏

malcum: nooo

aurora: delete

malcum: im screenshotting this

aurora: ...moving along

"FUUUUUUCK!" I yelled into my pillow. Did I just call him babe? BABE? What is wrong with me? Thankfully, no one was around because I was pretty sure I looked like a fresh tomato. This is so embarrassing, nice going Aurora. My phone vibrated and I knew it was Malcum. I dreaded opening iMessage again after that but it's not like he saw me in person which is way better.

malcum: sooo babe, i was wondering if you wanted to facetime maybe?

aurora: quit it you aren't funny -.-
aurora: i thought you were on a road trip so you couldn't?

malcum: we all needed a break from being so close to each other so we're staying in a hotel tonight

aurora: well in that case, yeah i'm down! when do you want to?

malcum: thirty minutes? unless you're busy

aurora: nope not busy at all, just finished officially moving in

malcum: wait you're already in the US? why didn't you tell me?

aurora: idk we aren't like, super close or anything

malcum: well yeah but we've been texting for like 3 almost 4 months now

aurora: that's true, i'm not sure i just didn't

malcum: k

aurora: ?

"K? What the hell is a k?" I scoffed and waited for the bubble to pop up indicating he was typing but it never did. What did I do wrong? I decided not to double text and just wait until he called me in thirty minutes to talk to him about it.

Ten minutes went by. Then twenty, thirty, forty, and eventually an hour with no incoming calls. I waited a little bit longer until I got the courage to text him again, and again, and again.

iMessage 8:06PM

aurora: i thought you were gonna call me?

iMessage 8:45PM

aurora: hello?
aurora: are you mad at me?

iMessage 9:16PM

aurora: this is the last time i'll text for today malcum, are you gonna tell me why you're ignoring me? :/

-

Aurora5SOS tweeted: PSA: stay away from boys unless it's 5sos

-

a/n: this chapter was really just to get into chapter 21 and the rest of the book. i personally like writing cal's pov more than aurora's idk.