10. Take me out!

𝆕 If it makes you happy - Sheryl Crow

Billy gave Mia a lift back home. He said he would try to bring his friend Lucy Rivera to the gig tonight, but with no promises, since it was extremely short notice for a busy talent manager. Lucy represented well-known artists like Modest Mouse and Death Cab for Cutie, making her a highly sought-after manager in the LA music scene. Naturally, Mia was curious to see if Lucy would be interested in taking her under her wing.

But Mia found herself contemplating her own worth. What was her unique selling point? She hadn't really given it much thought before. She had written songs for FJ with the guys, but when it came to her own package as an artist, she wasn't sure what it amounted to. A pretty girl, strong vocals and stage presence, above average guitar skills, and decent songwriting abilities... How did all of these factors contribute to her overall appeal? Wasn't this like, half the people in LA?

Pam dropped by Mia's apartment at 3 pm, ready to hang out until they needed to leave for the soundcheck in Echo Park at 6:30 pm.

Mia was eager to spill the details of the previous night to Pam. Although Pam had already received some basic information through Mia's texts, she naturally wanted the full story.

"Okay, spill the beans! How did it really go down? Details!" Pam exclaimed as she settled into the cozy green couch by the window.

"So I was at the bar, ordering myself a scotch right after the show," Mia began, her excitement evident. "And just as I was waiting for my drink, that song 'Closer' by Nine Inch Nails started playing. You know the one, right?"

"Haha, oh yess!" Pam nodded, her smile filled with mischief.

"So picture this, the song kicks in, the drums go boom boom... and then I see him walking towards me. It felt like the beat fucking slowed down, or maybe it was just me..."

Pam couldn't contain her giggles, her laughter taking her back to a childlike state.

"So he comes near me looking all hot with that shy smile. Man, I say what's going on..."

"Yeah like, 'why do I keep seeing this man?' right?"

"Exactly!" Mia agreed. "And why the fuck does my heart race like this? It's so stupid." she winced.

"Because he's hot hun-ney!" Pam exclaimed, squirming with excitement on the sofa.

"Anyway," Mia continued, a smile playing on her lips, "He proceeds to tell me about his offer, suggesting that we discuss the details in Vegas. And then, he takes my phone, saves his number, and hands it back to me, expecting me to let him know my decision."

"What? That is so dope. Let me see."

"Okay, well, I haven't looked at it yet, but here you go." she said as she handed over her Blackberry.

Pam scrolled down to "S" in Mia's contacts and pursed her lips. "I see no 'Slash' here. Wait wasn't his real name like, uhm... Saul? Let me see... It's not here either."

Mia snatched her phone back and hurriedly checked her contacts under both names, but to no avail. "What?!" she exclaimed in frustration. "But I'm positive he saved his number! Like, I wasn't dreaming it".

"Maybe he thought he did, but it didn't actually save?" Pam suggested. "Cos he's like.... Old?"

"Shut up Pam, he's not old!" Mia defended. "This is bullshit. I'm sure it's here somewhere..."

Sadly, Mia couldn't find the saved contact, even under "H", what they figured was the first letter of his last name, Hudson. It seemed that he must have thought he had saved it, but it hadn't registered in her phone.