71. Saudade

𝅘𝅥𝅮 Long Distance - Muddy Waters

23rd June, 2009
Tuesday

Prague.

The crew rolled into Prague from Vienna yesterday, a grueling five-hour bus ride behind them.

Today, the focus was on the soundcheck at Roxy, scheduled for 11 am. Roxy nestled in Prague's bustling Staré Město, swarming with tourists.

For the evening gig, they were slated to hit the stage at 9 pm, with Disturbed following at 10.

After wrapping up the soundcheck around 11:30 am, they stowed their gear on the tour bus parked alongside a nearby avenue. Then, it was off to a popular spot known as "Mlejnice," a cozy Czech eatery in the Old Town. Mjelnice served up generous portions of traditional Czech fare, a perfect match for Mia, Johnny, Adam, Kyle, and Pam. Billy, Tony, and Trevor had already headed out to explore some cultural sights after the soundcheck.

It marked Mia's first visit to Prague, and she quickly succumbed to the city's unique European allure. Prague's architecture, with its well-preserved historic structures, intricate facades, pastel-hued baroque buildings, and Gothic cathedrals, whisked her away to a bygone era. Unlike Vienna's grandeur or Paris's elegance, Prague had a mysterious, rugged beauty, like stepping into a fairy tale.

Amid souvenir shopping, Mia stumbled upon a distinctive silver ring shaped like a skull, its dark red eyes crafted from Garnet-a Prague specialty

Amid souvenir shopping, Mia stumbled upon a distinctive silver ring shaped like a skull, its dark red eyes crafted from Garnet-a Prague specialty. She couldn't resist picking it up for Slash, along with a few necklaces and earrings for herself.

They regrouped at Hotel Kings Court at 4 pm, right in the heart of the old town. After a quick freshen up, it was time to catch a little shut-eye before the show.

***

19:58

The backstage area at the Roxy, while not spacious, offered a comfortable and clean space. When they got to the club, Mia was already dressed, needing just her makeup done and a fifteen-minute vocal warm-up.

It wasn't long before it was nearly 9 pm. They had one hour to deliver 10 songs to an eager crowd. They hadn't expected a full house, assuming that most of the Disturbed fans wouldn't show up for the early performance, but that was proven wrong. Billy mentioned that he even spotted a few fans at the front of the stage wearing Frau Jailor bandanas. The level of dedication from the fans always surprised them, and for an opening act playing away from home, it was especially impressive.

And there was another thing to be happy about. Similar to their gigs at Hellfest and Nova Rock, they had the opportunity to use the large screens in the background, which mainly displayed the band with close-up shots from cameras, providing better visibility for the large crowd. The Roxy wasn't massive, with a max capacity of around 1100 people, but they had a decent-sized monitor on the stage, courtesy of Disturbed's rider. The tour manager approached Billy, kindly offering Frau Jailor a chance to use it before Disturbed. Tony had some materials prepared by Daylight Records' marketing team, a simple animated band logo with flashes and effects in between, but it was better than nothing and looked fairly decent.