17. Everybody loves the A Star is Born moment

Driving in Style - Thundermother

28th March, 2009

Saturday morning.

As they flew, Billy sat sandwiched between Mia and Johnny, and shared some juicy news. Apparently, being added last minute to the festival line-up had brought the band some much-deserved recognition. So much so that they received an invitation for an on-air radio interview. KXPT, a local classic rock station, was highly popular and Mia and Johnny were to be interviewed on their Sunday show, "Sunday with Steffi," just before they left for LA.

After landing in Vegas, they waited for the festival roadies to arrive, who would pick them up along with their equipment and take them straight to the venue for soundcheck.

Ben called Mia to wish her luck and revealed a surprise - he and Kam were driving over to watch them perform and spend the weekend with them. Mia was thrilled to have some familiar faces around. After playing in LA for years, they had made some great musician friends who later became close buddies. Their Vegas-based friends were also there to support them, making her feel loved and appreciated.

The temperature was around 65 degrees in the city, and although the festival grounds were far from luxurious, they were acceptable. The soundcheck lasted only 30 minutes, and they skipped the afternoon shenanigans to unwind at their hotel. Mia had her big meeting to attend, so she had to get ready.

Checking into her room, she found gorgeous white peonies arranged on the dresser. The card read, "Dream big, Mia. Amazing things are on their way! - Lucy Rivera." The fact that Lucy had gone out of her way to send her these beautiful flowers was just classy and made Mia feel secure.

***

Mia skipped lunch at the hotel and dressed up in all black - a black leather biker jacket, short jumpsuits, black booties, and layers of chunky jewelry for her meeting with team Slash. She packed everything she needed and asked Billy to take her bag to the festival grounds so that she could head straight to the Desert Breeze Skate Park after her meeting.

"Bitch, I knew you'd act like a diva once you made it big," Billy teased as he handed her the bag.

"Please wish me luck, Bills!" Mia exclaimed, blowing Billy air kisses.

Ever since the legendary rockstar approached her with that mysterious offer, Mia couldn't stop pondering over what it could be

Ever since the legendary rockstar approached her with that mysterious offer, Mia couldn't stop pondering over what it could be. Her life had been changing at lightning speed lately, and she couldn't help but feel like she was losing control. To get into the right headspace, she had been listening to Velvet Revolver and Slash's Snakepit albums non-stop while trying to guess what his offer might entail. Would he need a backup singer for a one-time recording of an already-complete song? Or maybe something else entirely? She had no clue, but she was about to find out. Mia stepped out of the taxi as she arrived at Lavo, an upscale Italian restaurant. It was exactly 2 pm.