38. Model for a day

My Doorbell - The White Stripes

April 14th, 2009

Tuesday

As Mia and Lucy arrived at the Angel City Brewery, two burly security guards greeted them. It was 7 am, and they felt relieved to be in safe hands in that creepy neighborhood. The Arts District was definitely not the most affluent place, and being in Downtown LA, close to Skid Row, it gave Mia the chills. DTLA was notorious for its high crime rate and its shady residents, but she had to suck it up for the sake of the photo shoot.

While the guards took care of their bags, a tall, handsome guy and a blonde woman emerged from the building.

"Hi, I'm Amanda," she introduced herself. "And this is Chase."

Mia smiled and shook their hands. "Nice to meet you both. I'm Mia, and this is Lucy."

"Oh yes, we spoke on the phone," Chase said, greeting Lucy with a handshake. "I'm the creative director for Rock Candy Magazine." He was clearly gay, and his style was on point.

"And I'm the Editor in Chief," Amanda chimed in.

"Mia, you look amazing at seven in the morning, honey! You hardly need any touch-ups, just a bit of eye makeup and hair styling, and you'll be good to go," Chase said with a grin.

Soon an younger guy joined in. "Hey! I'm River, the production assistant" he said as he waved at everyone. "Shall we go inside?"

***

The magazine wanted a photo shoot that would showcase Mia's rebellious, edgy side as a rock musician. They aimed to take plenty of grungy shots with graffiti in the background and an overall urban vibe.

After finishing their coffee, Amanda, Chase and Eric led Mia and Lucy to the glam room, where a hair and makeup artist was already waiting for them.

"Good morning, ladies!" said the artist, a bubbly young woman in her late twenties with bright orange lipstick and a colorful bandanna on her head. "So excited to be working with you today. My name's Jenny. Let's get started huh?" she had a sort of a European accent that Mia could not put her finger on.

"Nice to meet you Jenny", Mia sat down in front of the mirror, feeling a little nervous but also excited. Jenny began to work on Mia's face.

"And what are we thinking for the hair today?" she asked her while working on her eyes

"I was thinking like a messy, undone look?" Mia said, looking at Chase to see if he would object.

"Perfect," she said with a smile. "We want it to look like you just rolled out of the bed, but in a sexy, rockstar way?"Jenny winked. She had beautiful green eyes.

"Sounds cool" Mia laughed as she looked at herself in the mirror.

Jenny's magic touch not only transformed Mia's looks, but she also brought everyone to tears with laughter with her wicked sense of humour. It was hard to believe someone could be so full of energy before 8 am. She mentioned that she left Sweden to pursue her dreams of becoming a celebrity make-up artist in LA, and boy, was she succeeding. Her anecdotes were hilariously entertaining, leaving no doubt that she was a true force of nature.