37. No time to waste

♪ Angelica - Wet Leg

April 13th, 2009

Monday

Mia had been glued to her work desk all morning, not even catching a whiff of fresh air. To top it off, she'd bailed on Friday, so her inbox was now a messy jumble of demanding emails. At first, she couldn't focus on anything except Slash - his touch, his kisses, his scent, and waking up next to him... It all had wrapped her in a haze of euphoria that had thrown her work into the shadows.

By the time she'd tackled almost every email, the clock read 1 p.m. Figuring it was time to check in with Peter, she swung by his office, only to find it empty. So, with a sigh, she opted for a smoke break on the rooftop.

It was during this break that Lucy called her up, diving into finances and her upcoming crazy schedule. They decided to catch up over coffee after their shifts.

Back from the break, Mia's stomach was ready to protest. Thoughts of her last meal tugged a big grin onto her face. She hustled back downstairs, where she spotted Sonja and Karen buried in their own work trenches. Wrangling them out of their productivity caves, she convinced them to join her for a bite.

 Wrangling them out of their productivity caves, she convinced them to join her for a bite

LA's April weather played nice - a crisp 60 degrees, no sticky sweat in sight. The trio aimed for Gunsmoke to fuel up, snagging a spot in the breezy backyard. Orders in, Sonja leaned in, her eyes dancing. "There's something about you today."

Karen nodded in agreement, a playful grin on her lips. "I was gonna say!"

Mia did her best to act cool, firing back, "I'm actually very tired." But that telltale smile of hers was a giveaway.

"Oh my god, WHO IS HE?!" Sonja leaned in, eyes glinting with curiosity.

Though Mia wished she could keep her joy under wraps, her smile refused to be concealed. "Well, I'm not one to kiss and tell. But it was beyond amazing."

The girls weren't going to let her off that easily, pushing for more details. But Mia sealed her lips and mimed a kiss, a playful hush on her face.

***

As Mia was on her way to meet Lucy for coffee, she decided to give Pam a call. She was dying to share her latest news with her best friend; there was no one else who could understand what she was going through. After five rings, Pam finally picked up.

Pam's voice was hushed, clearly preoccupied. "Sorry, in the middle of a client thing."

"I'll make it quick. I need you tonight. Red-alert urgent, Pam."

Pam audibly gasped on the other end. "Got it. No need to explain. I'll swing by later."

"Perfect, my place, 9."

***

Mia swung by Paper Tiger around 6:30 PM, spotting Lucy already perched at a table. Hugs were exchanged in full force.