67. Uninvited

The Show Must Go On - Queen

6th June, 2009
Saturday

Arriving at the LAX parking lot, Mia's mind was adrift, shaken by recent events, her longing to be with Slash consuming her thoughts. Boyfriend or not. In that moment, he was her world, and he seemed to be crumbling.

Externally, he appeared strong yesterday, but internally, she knew he was shattered. The inability to save his mother from a dreadful illness, coupled with his pneumonia, weighed heavily on him. Mia couldn't be there to support him, to hold him close and comfort him.

"Hey, so, Slash's mother passed away, huh?" Tony remarked, while exchanging hugs near the gate.

"How's he holding up?" Johnny inquired, devoid of any undertones.

"I suppose he's okay, I'm not sure. He sounded quite unwell on the phone." Mia replied picking her words carefully.

Upon their arrival at Las Vegas' McCarran Airport, a rented mid size bus awaited them, ready to transport them to the hotel. Their accommodations were at the Luxor, conveniently close to the festival venue.

After settling into her room, Mia had an hour to spare before they headed to lunch and then soundcheck. She dialed Slash's number right away.

"Is this a good time?" she asked, her heart racing as he answered on the first ring.

"Yeah, I've been waiting for your call," he admitted. "I've missed you like crazy."

"Me too, baby. Are you feeling any better?" Mia inquired, stepping out onto her balcony for a smoke.

"I'm still tired, but I managed to sleep for a solid five hours today. No coughing fits," he said.

"That's good," Mia replied, her voice gentle and caring. "I can't wait to come back tomorrow. Maybe I'll see you after...the funeral," she added, the somber word at the end hanging heavily.

"I'd love that, but Ash is staying here for now. I don't think I can come see you either," Slash explained.

"Of course, I understand. I just wanna... help you, somehow." Mia murmured, taking a drag from her freshly lit cigarette.

"I know, but I'm okay. Don't worry about me. Just rock your show and get back here," he urged, concluding with a small cough.

"I'll call you when I can. You get some rest now," she advised, feeling a slight sense of relief knowing he was okay.

"I will. I love you," Slash said, his voice calm and endearing.

"I love you too, baby."

***

After the 4 pm soundcheck at the venue, the crew headed over to "Flippin' Good" to unwind and chill.

Their Vegas friends, Terrell, Tim, and Aidan, joined them, diving into wings and sipping on beers.

Mia felt a deep sadness but kept it hidden behind a forced smile all day. She didn't want anyone to catch onto the fact that her thoughts were consumed by the passing of her secret lover's mother.

Their gig at Hamilton Park was set for ten that night. Mia retreated to the hotel with the others, except for Adam and Kyle, who decided to hang out with their Vegas pals until showtime. Mia squeezed in a quick two-hour nap, hopped into the shower, and slipped into a short black latex dress beneath a long black jacket, paired with knee-high boots.

By 9 pm, she stood by the hotel door with Tiffany, Johnny and Tony, waiting for her Uber to whisk them to the venue.