9. Dine and Dash

Reed

Eden was stunning sitting across from me in the ran down diner. The blue shirt made her eye color shine even more. I was dying to see her, worried that it was too early when I texted her this morning. I was more than happy to get a response and to be sitting with her now. I planned to spend the day with her and hopefully taste her sweet lips again. I promised myself I would come clean about the blind date before allowing that, though.

"Did you have a nice evening with Brynn?" I asked as we waited for our food. Eden sat across from me, her head perched up by her hand, watching me.

"I did. We ate our goodies and fell asleep halfway through a movie. We're incredibly exciting." She laughed. Her laugh quickly becoming one of my favorite sounds.

"Sounds like a pretty good night to me." I shrugged. Suddenly thinking about a night spent cuddled up with her, watching movies.

"Maybe we can have our version of a movie night soon." She responded sweetly. I liked the bold version of Eden. Finally, our food arrived, and we both dug in, talking about random things.

"I do, actually, um, need to tell you something." I began, feeling the nerves creeping in. Eden sat up, taking a sip of her water.

"Oh, okay. Is everything alright?" It pained me to see the concern in her eyes.

"Yea, it's fine. It's kind of funny..." But, of course, the moment I get ready to begin, her phone rings. She looks at me apologetically and pulls it out of her bag.

"I have to take this; I'm so, so sorry," Eden answered her call, stepping toward the back of the diner where it was less noisy. I watched her as she talked, finishing up my meal. Mentally I was going over, again, how to explain the situation. It really wasn't that big of a deal, was it?

"Reed, I need to go. There's an issue at the store, and a few shipments didn't arrive. They need me to come help straighten it out as we were setting up for a signing this week." She was clearly pained to be leaving so suddenly. "I feel terrible! Can we get together later, perhaps?" She grabbed her purse, pulling her wallet out.

"Of course! Don't feel bad; stuff happens. Put your money away and get outta here. Go save the book store." I teased. "Text me when you're done, and maybe we can try again." I smiled. Inside I was half celebrating, getting to hold off on the truth, and half pouting because I was looking forward to a day spent with her.

"You're amazing." She leaned down, giving me a quick peck on the cheek. I waved her off as she headed out the door, leaving me alone in the diner. Not for long, though.

Just as I was finishing the food, Eden had left behind; hey, no waste! Good old Nick Ross plopped himself down across from me. His smarmy grin, thinking we were friends instead of the casual acquaintances I considered us to be.

"Reed, how ya doing?"

"I'm just fine. What are you doing here?" I questioned.

"Grabbing a coffee before heading to the office for a few last-minute things." He held up a to-go cup. "My place is just around the corner." He continued. "Who was the lovely lady joining you? Our friend Eden from the Mexican restaurant?" My skin prickled hearing him refer to her as a friend; even saying her name was too much.

"Yes, we were having breakfast. I was just about to head out, actually." I gave him a nod.

"Are you seeing her?"

"Yes." I gave him a look of questioning.

"Ah, so I suppose I should step back then? I was thinking of asking her out myself." See, smarmy guy.

"This was our third date." I lied. I suppose you could technically say that, but I'd prefer to take her out less casually than on our other outings.

"Interesting. Yet she seemed to run out the door only moments before I sat down." He rubbed his clean-shaven chin, a look of mischief in his eyes.

"Listen, I'm seeing her alright. If you had gone on that blind date, maybe you would have been so lucky, but you're an ass." I blurted out without thinking of all the ways this would bite me in the ass.

"What? That blind date?"

"Nothing. Just forget it. I need to go." I left plenty of cash to cover the bill and a decent tip on the table. I went to step outside the diner doors as Nick grabbed me.

"No, the blind date... you never came out that night. So did you fucking go on my blind date?!" He growled.

"Your blind date." I scoffed. "You were going to stand the poor girl up; I felt awful, so I just went so she wouldn't be alone."

"Eden, she was my date?" I wanted to puke at his words.

"Yes. That's how we met. Any more questions?" I huffed, digging my keys out of my pocket, ready to go.

"Nope, no more questions. She was my date, though, and I will get that date." He shoved at my chest before stalking off. My hands were balled into fists, and it took every bit of strength I had not to punch the nearest object.

Cursing myself, I went to my car, punching the steering wheel a few times instead. How dare he think that just because he was set up with her, he deserved some time with her. He didn't want to go! He wanted a hook-up! This was just a conquest to him. He was a spoiled rich kid who had grown into a spoiled rich man who got what he wanted when he wanted, and now he was determined. I ran my hand down my face, groaning in frustration. I refused to let Nick turn this into some game for him, and I refused to let him hurt Eden. I couldn't allow that.

I had a sinking feeling in my gut that this wasn't the last Nick would somehow intervene in this new relationship with Eden. I only hoped I would be able to talk to her first. I knew I had to speak with Eden before Nick did anything. If she found out from anyone other than myself, it wouldn't look good and would be harder to explain. I only hoped she'd be understanding and think of it as a funny story to share someday of how we met, instead of a story about two jackasses who messed with her, lopping me in the same category as Nick and writing me off. I hadn't known her long, but it was long enough to know that I couldn't stand the thought of not seeing her again. I was already in deep, and that scared the shit out of me. I couldn't fuck this up.

I decided then that I would go to her; I needed to tell her today. I pulled out my phone and looked up the address for the bookstore before hashing out a plan. Then I stopped and grabbed a coffee and muffins for her and made my way there. I took a deep breath before stepping out of the car, ready to face the truth.