17. Telephone

Eden

After a long evening at work, I went home and crashed. The morning had started amazingly, spending the time with Reed. I hated to leave him, but the bills do not pay themselves. When I got home, I grabbed some chemical-filled junk and shoved it in my face as I hopped about getting my pajamas on. Brynn was already home and sound asleep in bed. That girl could fall asleep at the drop of a hat; I hated her for it.

Shutting everything off, I crawled into my bed and stretched out. I yawned as I flipped the TV on, finding something boring just fill the silence. Work kept me later than usual; we had big signings coming up and new releases that I had to manage the orders for. A popular series, The Dare Brothers series, was debuting its first book soon, and we were going all out. Since the Author wrote under a pen name and did not participate in signings, we would go all out in the way of a big display and giveaways.

I barely had turned on some documentary before dozing off. I was wrapped up snuggly in my blankets when my phone buzzing woke me. I grumbled, thinking my alarm was going off already. When I finally reached it, I realized it was after midnight. The buzzing sound was text messages from Reed.

I was sad to see that he had a family emergency that required him to fly home. I hated that for him. I was a little disappointed as well, as I hoped to spend more time with him sooner rather than later. Unfortunately, my exhaustion was stronger than my texting ability, and I fell asleep, phone in hand.

My wrist was aching when I woke up, still holding my phone with a message half typed out to Reed. I was much more tired than I had thought. I laid my phone on the bed, stretching out in surprise that I was awake before my alarm. I shifted around and sat up, wanting to text Reed before getting a start on my day. Just as I started a text, his name popped up. I couldn't help the giddy feeling that took over just seeing his name.

"Hi." I cooed.

"Hey! I hope I'm not waking you." Reed spoke softly. Hearing his voice wrapped me in warmth.

"No, I was actually just texting you." I laughed. "I fell asleep last night; I'm sorry. I got your text. Is everything okay?"

"Yes. No. My Dad had a heart attack; he's in the hospital. I'm about to head up to see him with my Mom and Sisters." Reed explained.

"Oh, Reed. I'm so sorry."

"Thanks. Mom kind of convinced me slash forced me to fly out." He chuckled. "I told you my relationship with him has been non-existent, so it makes it a little awkward."

"I'm sure right now; he'll just be glad to see you. The rest you guys can work out another time. How are your sisters?"

"They seem alright. That's sweet of you to ask. I need to go; get ready to head out. I just wanted to call, maybe hear your voice for a minute." He admitted. I was trying to suppress the smile taking over my face.

"Reed, I'm sorry about your Dad; I hope he'll be okay. If you need to talk or anything, anytime, I'm here."

"Thanks. Can I call you later?"

"Of course."

"I'll talk to you later, Eden."

"Goodbye, Reed."

I sat holding my phone for a moment, that giddy new relationship feeling with a twinge of sadness. I hated that Reed was dealing with the health problems of his Dad. Selfishly I hated that he was so far away at the beginning of this new relationship as well. The smell of coffee distracted me, as it was unusual for Brynn to be up this early. I yawned the whole way down the hall, finding my friend at the table sipping a fresh cup. Brynn sat with barely opened eyes as she moaned with each sip.

"Are you okay?" I chuckled.

"I hate mornings. You know this." She growled.

"I do, so why are you up?"

"I have a few meetings scheduled much earlier than I would like, but it fits their schedule."

"The joys of adulting." I teased as I poured myself a cup.

"Yup. Who were you chatting with?" She hummed.

"Oh, um, Reed called."

"And how is our lover boy?"

I sat across from her at the table, raising my brow before responding.

"His father had a heart attack; he's actually back home in Georgia right now."

"Oh God, did he die?" She gasped.

"No! I guess he's okay; Reed was heading up to the hospital to see him. He was just checking in, I guess."

"That sucks, poor guy. Super cute that he took time to call you, though." Brynn stood, taking her mug to the sink. "I've got to head out, but I'll bring dinner back tonight."

I nodded from my spot at the table and gave her a quick wave as she headed out. I sat quietly, sipping the coffee. I couldn't stop thinking about Reed.

*

The rest of the week drug by, I was working non-stop, and when I wasn't working, I was at home texting, talking, or face timing with Reed. He made sure to text me every day, and most evenings, we face-timed for a bit. Halfway through the week, his sisters decided to crash our party while on our video call. They were adorable, and the way he interacted with them was so cute.

By the end of the week, I had chatted with his sisters and his Mom. They were all incredibly kind. Reed was pretty stressed out, despite his Dad making it through the bypass surgery with no issues and returning home from the hospital. Work was hounding him, wanting him to return as soon as possible. With opening day around the corner, they needed him. I hated that for him. I did my best to let him vent, talk through everything and then just enjoy simple conversation to take his mind off everything. I was quickly falling for Reed Sawyer, and I couldn't wait for him to be back in Seattle so we could spend time face to face.

Fortunately for me, that would happen sooner rather than later. With his father recovering well, Reed would be flying back to Seattle. I wanted to meet him at the airport, but Bennett had that covered. So instead, he was heading to the stadium right away to catch up on work. My heart was a little wounded when Reed warned me that he would be insanely busy, but my spirits quickly lifted when he texted me that he had to see me.

Reed had a thirty-minute time window during his workday before the Sounders' opening day. I agreed to meet him just near the stadium to make it easier on him. I rushed out of the office, down through the bookstore, my whole body tingling with excitement to see him. As I stepped out onto the sidewalk, I heard Nick calling out to me.

"Eden! Wait up!"

"I'm in a huge hurry, Nick. I'm so sorry. Reed has a small window of time to meet up. Shouldn't you be busy as well?" I asked, confused.

"I'm heading that way, actually. Want a ride?" He smiled.

Despite the nagging feeling in my gut, I nodded and followed him to his car. He held the door for me as I quickly slid in. It only took a moment before we were off. I texted Reed that I was on the way, and he replied with a thumbs up. However, I noticed that Nick was taking an unusual route when I looked up.

"You do know how to get to the stadium, right?" I laughed nervously.

"Of course."

"This is going to take forever." I groaned, already noticing the traffic ahead. "You should have taken Hampshire."

"Sorry, this is how I usually go and never have an issue." He shrugged as we sat. Twenty minutes had gone by, and we barely moved a mile. I felt like crying, knowing that I wasn't going to make it in time to see Reed. "I'm sorry, Eden. I had no idea it would be like this."

I nodded at Nick while I began a text to Reed. I explained that Nick had offered a ride and that traffic was terrible. He was, of course, upset that we missed our window of time and apologized profusely that he had to get back to work. When I told Nick to take me back to the bookstore, I swear I saw a hint of a smile on his face.