44. Phone calls

Reed

My body was exhausted as I walked off the field. Road games were challenging. I had a game in Tennessee the following night then I'd be back home in Georgia. I was ready to be with my girl again and my family this time. I was worried about my sister, Lizzie, after hearing she had to have an emergency appendectomy. So when Eden offered to go a few days early to meet and visit with them, I couldn't express how much that meant to me. I knew the girls would love it, they had already loved her, and my Mom was itching to meet her, so it was perfect.

After we did our media time, Bennett and I made our way to the hotel room. We had a few hours to get some sleep, then up early for our flight to Nashville. Lucky for me, that meant no time for Bennett to go out and find a lady friend for the evening, though as I thought about it, he hadn't done that the last several road games.

"So, how are things with Gemma?" I asked, digging through my bag for the essentials.

"What? Gemma?" He feigned ignorance quite poorly. I rolled my eyes at him, taking my toiletries into the bathroom. "Your phone is going off like crazy, man." He called out to me. I dropped my things on the counter and grabbed my phone off the bed. The screen flashed my Mom's name.

"Hey," I answered, sitting down for a moment.

"How'd the game go?" She asked quietly.

"We won by two points. All good." I replied. "Did Eden make it in okay? I haven't had a chance to check in with her."

"Oh yes, Marie was able to pick her up. She's here, and she's just lovely, Reed. The sweetest thing. She's beautiful too." Mom gushed.

"Wait, why did Marie pick her up?"

"Oh, well, I wanted to stay here with Lizzie." I could tell by her tone that she was leaving something out, and I didn't like the unsettled feeling it gave me.

"What's going on, Mom?" I asked, looking over at Bennett, who was laid out on his bed, already snoring. "Mom?" She was taking much too long to answer.

"I really didn't want to tell you over the phone, Reed. I can't handle having you out of the loop right now, though." She squeaked out. I could tell she was crying, and I instantly rose to my feet, pacing the length of the room.

"What is it?"

"Sweetheart, Lizzie has leukemia." She let out a heart-wrenching sob. After that, everything became a blur. My ears filled with the sound of my heart beating so fast I could hardly breathe. I continued pacing for a moment before sinking down onto the floor. "Reed, are you there?"

I could hear her, yet my voice wasn't there for me to respond. I was speechless. Lizzie is only ten years old; how could this happen?

"Reed?!" She cried out again.

"Mom." I groaned, fighting back the tears.

"I'm here. I'm so sorry, baby."

"Sorry? Why are you sorry?" I choked out.

"For telling you this way, I just, I didn't want you to be the last to know and with all of us here." She paused. "It's going to be okay." I could tell she was putting on a strong front now that she had let the news out.

"Don't apologize. I'll be on the first flight out tonight." I gathered myself off the floor and headed toward my bag.

"No! There's nothing you can do here. You keep your schedule, and we'll see you as planned. I just... well, as I said, I didn't want you to find out any other way than from me."

"I can't go out and play a stupid soccer game knowing my little sister is fighting for her life." I bellowed, waking Bennett. He sat up in the bed, watching my every move.

"Reed, you can and you will. Do you understand me?"

"How am I supposed to do that? How do they even know it's cancer? I thought it was her appendix?" I questioned.

"It was her appendix. The lab work they did before her surgery and after, the Doctor noticed some of her levels weren't quite right. They did further testing, and it confirmed leukemia. We have an appointment in the morning with the pediatric oncologist, and we'll know more specifics then." Mom explained. I could hear muffled speaking in the background.

"So, everyone knows?" I ran a hand through my hair, sinking back down onto the bed.

"Yes, your father and Marie are here; they'll be staying overnight; then, of course, Eden is here as well. She came at a perfect time. She's been sitting with Lizzie, talking and laughing. She's an exceptional woman."

"Yeah, she is. But, God, Mom, I'm so sorry I'm not there. I hate this. I feel helpless."

"We all do right now, but we'll get through this, right? We always do. We're all here together like a family should be, and as soon as you get here, we'll all tackle this together." She sounded more hopeful than she had at the start of our phone call.

"Please tell Lizzie I love her; the second I can get there, I'll be there, I promise."

"I know, sweetheart. I will tell her. I love you, Reed."

"Love you too, Mama."

I ended the call and set the phone down next to me. My brain was swirling with the new information I was just given. I ran my hand down my face, sighing and trying to get a good breath.

"What's going on?" Bennett asked from his side of the room. I paused for a moment, trying to calm myself before I could even begin to tell him. He knew my sister; he'd met her several times. "Dude, you're freaking me out." He stepped up and sat next to me on the edge of the bed.

"Lizzie has leukemia," I exclaimed before breaking down into sobs. I couldn't hold it together no matter how hard I tried. My whole body shook as I let the tears fall, and my best friend sat with me while I did so.

Once I finally regained my composure, Bennett patted me on the back. When I looked over, I saw a stray tear flow down his cheek as well. I'd never seen Bennett cry in the couple of years I'd known him.

"I'm sorry. That fucking sucks." He spoke softly.

"Tell me about it," I grunted.

"She'll be fine." He declared, standing up. "She's a Sawyer, and you guys are tough. As soon as we get to Georgia, we'll get in there and make sure she gets whatever she needs." All I could do was nod at my best friend, I knew deep down he was a ball of mush, but it was nice to see it every once in a while.

"Thanks, man."

We both changed and crawled into our beds; it didn't take long for Bennett to zonk back out. He could fall asleep anytime, anywhere, it seemed. I laid back, grabbing my phone. I finally checked my messages, seeing a few from Tate and then, of course, Eden. I felt terrible for having neglected her all evening.

I made it! Your family is lovely; they've made me feel so welcome.

I caught the end of the game; you played great! I love you.

The last message took my breath. I don't know how I managed to get so lucky to have her, but I was thanking my lucky stars tonight that I did.

It was a picture of Eden and Lizzie. They had snuggled up in my childhood bed, both in pajamas, sticking their tongues out. They followed it up with a picture of Eden hugging Lizzie, both smiling so wide.

I fired off a quick message before falling into a restless sleep.

I love you, Eden, so fucking much.