52. Away On a Plane

Reed

I spent the morning making breakfast with my Mom, Marie, and Sisters. Eden had left early to get to the convention, her last day of it; then, she was staying to attend the game with the family tomorrow. I felt pumped to have them all at the arena. Bennett went with my Dad for a walk around the neighborhood. Something he had been doing since his heart attack recovery.

Once we all finished breakfast and the clean-up, we piled up in the living room and decided to discuss the plan for Lizzie's treatment. I knew they had visited with her oncologist and made a plan of action to begin on Monday. However, Lizzie requested they wait so she could attend my game. I'm not sure how I felt about it, heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time.

"So, five months of high dose chemo and then a stem cell transplant." Mom continued to explain.

I sat back, thinking about everything Eden was dealing with and her Mother. I was willing to do the same for Lizzie if she could go through all that.

"Okay, so how do we all get tested? Eden's going through a similar thing, but I have no idea how to go about all of this," I offered, leaning forward, ready to make a plan of attack.

"Well, her Dr. explained that her siblings would most likely be the best match. They gave us kits so we could all swab and start the matching process."

"Great! So, I can donate, or Amy?" I slapped my hands together.

"Yes, if you match and we all agree on it, either one of you can donate." Dad nodded, pulling Lizzie closer to him as she played on her gaming device.

"I'd like to get tested too; I mean, I guess it would be rare if I matched, but I might as well test just to see." Bennett offered with a shrug.

"Of course! That's so kind of you, Bennie." Mom smiled across the room at him. He nodded sheepishly. My best friend was a big ball of mush on the inside, and I loved him for it.

Dad, Bennett, and I decided to take the girls to get ice cream. Just a fun treat before Bennett and I would have to head back into the city. Eden would hopefully be home in time to see her quickly before I headed out.

The girls were giggle boxes the entire time; Bennett loved having an audience on his maturity level. I had to give him a hard time; it's like a best friend rule for guys.

As we were finishing up, my phone buzzed in my pocket. I was happy to see Eden's name on the screen as I stood to take the call.

"Hey, cutie."

"Hey." She said quietly, immediately triggering alarm bells.

"What's wrong?" I stepped outside the ice cream shop to hear her better.

"I'm so sorry."

"Eden, are you okay?" I demanded.

"I'm fine. I'm just sad. I talked to the Dr. about June, and I spoke with Glenn. I'm leaving on a flight out to Kansas in about two hours."

"What? Wow. You have to leave in two hours? Or the flight leaves in two hours?" I leaned against the building, feeling the stress for her.

"The flight leaves in two hours, which means I'm literally about to leave your house." I could tell she was fighting tears. I was beginning to feel my eyes prick with them as well. I was about thirty minutes from the house, and if she had to leave now, there was no way I could get back to see her. "I hate this; I feel like I'm letting you down, letting your family down." She confessed.

"You are definitely not letting me down or my family, babe. You're leaving to give part of your body to your Mother to save a life. I couldn't be more proud of you. Of course, they're proud of you as well. You're amazing."

"I hate that I'm going to miss the game tomorrow." 

"There will be plenty more games. I'm going to miss you, though."

"Please, tell the girls and your Dad that I'm so sorry not to be able to say goodbye in person. I promise to text Lizzie and check in with everyone." She rambled on; I could tell she was gathering her things in the background.

"I promise they'll understand, and I will explain everything to them. Please, be careful and text me when you land."

With a heavy sigh, she responded. "I love you."

"I love you too. We're off this week; I can fly out and be there with you as soon as possible."

"I can't have you do that. Stay with your family Reed, and spend time with them. I'll be okay. Remember, Brynn said she'd come along if I needed someone."

Sometimes I hated that she was so independent and headstrong. A part of me wanted her to need me and beg me to be there with her. However, I appreciated how selfless she ensured I was with my family.

I said goodbye to Eden and returned to the shop with the others. They were all watching as I sat, waiting to hear what news I had. My face was obviously giving away my emotions.

"Everything okay, son?"

"Erm, yes. Eden is leaving early, actually right now. She was upset she couldn't say a proper goodbye to everyone, but she needs to catch a flight to Kansas tonight." I attempted to explain.

"For what?" Lizzie asked.

"She needs to be there for her Mother." So I kept it simple, unaware of how much Lizzie and Amy knew.

"The one that's sick?" She asked curiously.

"Yep." I glanced around, wishing Dad or Bennett would change the subject.

"Let's get out of here; we don't have much time before we need to get back to the hotel," Bennet spoke, seeming to have read my mind.

By the time we got back to the house, Eden was already gone. My Mom was a bit heartbroken to see her go, but she understood the reason. Of course, it didn't help that Bennett and I were heading out, and Dad was heading back to his house with Marie.

"It's been nice having a full house with lots of noise these last few days." She commented, wrapping me in a hug as Bennett and I stood near the door.

"I'll be back on Sunday morning," I assured her. I was planning to spend the week off with them as Lizzie would be starting her chemo. It was also when Eden would be doing the steps necessary to prepare for the donation to her Mother. I felt torn on where to be, but I'd be here for now.

After saying our goodbyes, Bennett and I were on the road back to Atlanta. He was busy on his phone as we rode along in the Uber. My phone was mostly silent; Eden was up in the air, and everyone else had gone quiet.

"Who are you texting with?" I asked with a sigh. I'd never seen him text this much.

"Just the guys." He shrugged.

"Seriously? You expect me to believe that?" I laughed.

"It's complicated." He rolled his eyes, shoving his phone back into his pocket. "How are you? Everything with Lizzie and Eden leaving, you good?"

I raised a brow at him, changing the subject so quickly. I knew he must really be into this woman; I'd never known him to keep so much under wraps.

"I'm good," I answered, turning to watch the world pass us by as we neared the hotel.