13. Complicated Family

Reed

When I woke up this morning, phone in hand, and realized I had called her, I immediately panicked. After a shower and some coffee, most of the conversation returned to my memory, and I was relieved. I assumed the guys were passed out in their respective rooms with the girls, so I headed out, wanting to take a peace offering to Eden for having bothered her last night. When she opened the door, I wanted to smash my mouth against hers so badly it almost hurt. She looked perfect in the I just woke up way. Of course, she was sweet as usual, and we ended up sitting on the sofa, sipping coffee as she enjoyed a doughnut.

I could barely control myself sitting with Eden. Her barely-there pajamas left little to the imagination, and trust me; I imagined everything. It was as if she could read my mind, though, and she quickly realized how she was dressed; she excused herself to change, disappointing my eyes. When she returned, though, she looked just as impressive. Her hair was flowing, and she was wearing a t-shirt with jeans and a sweater. She was fucking adorable and gorgeous all at the same time, and it was taking everything in me not to grab her and kiss her face off.

When I explained the night before and how I had been thinking about her, seeing how her eyes lit up, I gave in and gave up. I didn't want to fight it anymore. The second my hands held her face and my lips touched her lips, I felt at home. I'd never felt anything like it before and swore I never would again. Her kiss felt like every holiday and birthday, all wrapped into one.

"Next time, just kiss me, okay." She spoke, barely above a whisper, out of breath.

Damn! Yes, Ma'am, I wanted to say, but instead, I was greedy, retaking her mouth. It was heated as my hands made their way down her body, resting at her hips. Her hands, one holding at my neck and the other sliding down my arm, felt amazing. She made the cutest little sounds, only causing my desire to intensify. Before I could catch myself, I gripped her hips, pulling her over onto my lap. She yelped at first but quickly pushed her lips back onto mine.

"We should..." Kiss. "We should probably...." Kiss. "We should probably stop." Kiss.

I knew if I didn't pump the brakes, this might take a turn that was a little too soon. Did I want to explore every inch of her amazing body? Fuck yes. But I wanted to get to know her even more and explore all of her mind and soul. I was a fucking schmuck for sure, but I was a happy schmuck.

"Mmhmm." She nodded, biting her bottom lip, leaning back as she sat straddling me.

"Doing that is not going to help." I ran my thumb across her swollen lip. I wrapped my arms around her waist, pulling her into me, just holding her close. "You were an absolute surprise, Eden Gray," I whispered into her hair.

We held each other for a few more moments before Eden, reluctantly, crawled off my lap and snuggled in next to me. We linked our hands together, rubbing and squeezing as we spoke. She told me all about Tate going out of town and how she and Brynn would be hanging out more. She had mentioned it before, but this time she went into more detail, telling me more about her friendship with Brynn.

"Brynn is the kind of person that you just can not, not be friends with, ya know? So she picks you as a friend, and that's just it." Eden laughed, leaning back into the couch. Eden's legs were draped across my lap as we sat, my hands rubbing up and down them as we talked. It was the most relaxed and natural feeling sitting with her. I wanted to listen to her all day. I wanted to hear everything.

"She sounds like a lot of fun," I added, enjoying this day more than I ever could have imagined.

"What about you? Who is your best friend?"

"Ah, I guess Bennett gets that title," I answered. "He was the first person I met when I moved here, he was living with Hugh, and they offered me the extra room. So, we've all been buddies for a little bit." I saw her smiling out of the corner of my eye, so I turned toward her. "What?"

"Your accent is super sexy." She laughed.

"I've heard that a few times." I ran my hand through my messy hair, watching her watch me.

"I'm sure you hear that a lot of times." She winked.

"Not nearly enough; you should tell me all the time." I teased. Eden threw her head back in laughter.

"Does everyone back in Georgia sound like you?" She asked.

"I guess so. Being there, we all just sound the same. My Mama, she gets real southern when she's angry." I smiled at the memories. Thinking of the times she fussed at me for various things, missing her and my sisters. "My sisters have really thick accents, or maybe it just sounds that way since I'm here and they're there."

"What about your Dad?"

"Um, well, my parent's arent together. They split before I started high school. We haven't had much of a relationship since." I admitted. Something that I rarely talked about with anyone. I didn't go into detail that when my Father left, I stopped talking to him. I felt he abandoned us when Mom needed him most as my sisters were so young. That resentment only grew the older I got and the less involved he was, especially with soccer, something we both had enjoyed together. Even now, I ignored his rare phone call.

"I'm sorry. You don't have to share anything about that." Eden reached over, taking my hand into hers. Her smile reassured me that she meant what she said.

"What about you? You said you came to school here from Kansas. What about your family back home?" I linked our fingers together, rubbing my thumb over her hand gently. I immediately felt her tense up. "Same goes for you, though; you don't have to share anything you don't want to."

"No, it's okay. I... I don't know my parents. I mean, I know who they are, but they weren't in a position to take care of a child, I guess, so my maternal grandparents raised me. Unfortunately, they passed away my first year in college." She explained, keeping her head down. I couldn't stand seeing her so heartbroken. I immediately lifted her legs and pulled her to me, wrapping my arms around her.

"Your parents missed out on an amazing girl, and your grandparents, they did an amazing job. They would be so proud of you." I tilted her chin up to look at me, looking into her baby blues.

"Thank you." She whispered, her full lips twisting into a small smile. I leaned forward, kissing them, then her cheek and her neck. I nuzzled into her, taking in her scent and the warmth that poured over me just being in her company.