60. Fucking Nick

Reed

"It was fucking Nick." I spat out without even thinking. Brynn and Eden both stared up at me in shock.

"What?" Eden asked quietly.

"It was Nick. That's who sold that shit story to whoever and made sure the article went to print. That's who I'm going to beat the fuck out of the second I see his ugly face." I kept running my hand through my hair, tugging at it in frustration.

"How do you know? Are you sure?" Brynn asked.

"Bennett. He just texted me to let me know he found out and then sent me copies of the text exchange between Nick and the person who wrote the article. I can't believe he stooped to this level, such a fucking dick." I mumbled, pacing the room and trying to reign in the anger I felt.

While Eden was going over everything with the nurse before getting the go-ahead to leave, I texted Bennett again. I demanded contact information for the person who wrote the article and anyone else involved. But, of course, he just kept reassuring me he was taking care of it. I would have kept pushing, but Eden was ready to go, and my girl needed me.

Brynn and I got her back to the hotel and settled into the room. She was feeling a little tired but otherwise said she felt much better. Brynn left us alone, and Eden quickly fell asleep. I didn't want to disturb her, so I walked down to the lobby and gave Bennett a call.

"How's she doing?" He asked right away.

"Good. She said she feels better already, just a little tired." I replied, sitting in one of the lobby chairs. "She didn't say much about this whole Nick situation. I know it's probably the last thing on her mind right now, but I can't stop thinking about it. The second I see him, I'm bashing his fucking face in." I growled.

"Dude, chill out. He'll get what's coming. I told you I would handle it. How's Lizzie?"

"Feeling pretty rough, but that's how it'll be for a while."

"Did your Mom tell you I swabbed to see if I'm a match?" Bennett asked.

"No. The Doctor said it would likely be Amy or me who match if we're lucky."

"She'll be fine; I have no doubt." He reassured. "You guys get back tomorrow evening; I think Gemma and I are picking you guys up."

"Oh really?" I smirked. I knew things were progressing with her; he had been so tight-lipped about it.

"Shut it." He snapped. "I'll see your ugly face tomorrow."

*

"Are you sure you're okay?" Brynn asked Eden for the thousandth time.

"Leave the girl alone, Jesus." Gemma groaned from her spot on the sofa.

As he said, Bennett and Gemma picked us up from the airport. Once we arrived at the girls' apartment, Tate had to take off to his place. Gemma and Bennett decided to hang around for a bit so that I could talk to Bennett about the article. He had tried to put it off, saying Eden needed her rest, but she persisted as well.

"I'm fine." Eden laughed, situating herself on the loveseat. Brynn had made sure to set her up with pillows and blankets just to relax with us. It was sweet how she was taking care of her, though. "I want to hear all about this article nonsense so I can get over it for good." She looked over at Bennett.

He nervously ran his hand through his messy hair, giving Gemma a look I couldn't quite figure out. He sighed a few times before pulling out his phone and scrolling through it before he decided to speak.

"I told Reed I would take care of it, and I did. You didn't deserve the shit they were trying to spread, neither of you. I made a few calls to people I knew from doing interviews of the last year or so." He paused to take a breath, looking at us as we all watched him, waiting to hear. "I spoke to one reporter, she said that someone approached her with a story, and she refused to go with it, knowing that it was most likely untrue and being unsure of the source. She told me the source's name and who else may have taken it. Nick Ross offered this story up, and he guaranteed the accuracy of the information because it was given to him by Glenn Granger." Bennett winced when he said Eden's father's name. During his investigative adventure, he must have realized who he was. "I'm sorry, Eden, I really am. I explained to the reporter that the story was 1,000% false. They've already printed the retraction. I've got lawyers on Nick already, and I was going to let you decide about Glenn."

I sat beside Eden, gently pulling her into me and kissing the top of her head. I wanted her to feel that I was here for support. Even though the story involved all of us, I knew it hurt her the most.

"I had a feeling he was involved somehow." She spoke soft, looking down at her hands. "Honestly, if they've printed a retraction and explained it simply isn't true, then I'm okay with leaving it there. The people who matter know the truth; I just don't want to hold onto any of this any longer."

"Are you sure?" I asked in shock. I was ready to sue the pants off Nick and at least scare the shit out of Glenn. I knew they didn't have a pot to piss him, but a threat of taking what they did have, I knew, would make him regret messing with us.

"Yes, I'm sure. For my part, anyway. I can't speak for you and your family. I won't be upset if you choose to take some kind of action either; I understand. I made my peace and no longer have to deal with them or their drama. I refuse to."

"You are way too chill in a good way." Gemma teased. "You don't have like a mean, naughty side. Please tell me you do. I have yet to see it, and I'm dying to bring her out!"

Eden rolled her eyes with a sigh at her remarks. She stared at her hands that were bruised a little from the various needles, she looked exhausted, and I knew the Doctor had said she needed to rest as much as possible for the first few days.

"If Eden is done, then we're done. No legal drama. The retraction is enough for me too." I took her hand into mine, rubbing my thumb over hers in a soothing motion.

"Alright. I get it, and I'll respect your wishes." Bennett nodded.

"You're good for him." Eden smiled, looking over at Gemma. Her cheeks immediately flushed a light shade of pink, something I had never seen her do. Glancing over at Bennett, he was doing the same. It was adorably awkward.

"I've done nothing. Of course, I say we find them all in a dark alley and take turns treating them as punching bags, but eh, it's not my fight." She shrugged with a laugh. "We should get going; let you rest and settle in." Gemma stood, giving Eden a quick hug. "Can't wait to see ya back at the coffee shop, and hopefully a girls' night sooner than later."

Everyone said their goodbyes, Brynn working on laundry and catching up on things missed the last few days while I helped Eden to her room and unloaded her luggage. I knew I had to be at the soccer field early in the morning and had lots to work on, but I couldn't bring myself to leave her. So once she snuggled up in her bed, I stripped down to my boxers and climbed in with her. 

"You're staying?" She asked with a smile.

"Of course. I can't bring myself to leave you." I kissed her lips lightly. "I'll have to leave super early, but I'm here until then."

"I love you, Reed." She hummed, nuzzling into me.

"I love you."

NordikaNight

This title is for you!