62. Anger

Reed

I hated leaving Eden that morning. It was so nice to snuggle up with her and just take in her scent. Sleeping next to her provided the best sleep I'd ever had, and I decided then that I wanted to sleep next to her every night that I could, in the same bed in a place that was ours. I knew some would say it was soon, but we'd weathered all sorts of things in the few months we'd been together, and I knew she was it for me.

"How's Eden?" Bennett asked as we prepared for the morning workout and meeting.

"She's good, just tired. Should get better each day as her counts get back to normal. How's Gemma?" I smirked at him. I tried to stifle a laugh as he rolled his eyes at me.

"She's just fine, thanks." He mumbled.

"When do we all get to meet her as your girl?" I pushed.

"Dude. We're not... it's not like that." He picked up the pace walking ahead of me toward the gym.

"Well, feel free to elaborate. I've got time." I laughed, hopping up on the treadmill. I could hear his sigh of discomfort as he started on the one next to me. "Come on, all I've heard talk about is cancer and stem cells for far too long. Indulge me in some relationship chatter." I smiled over at him.

"You can't repeat any of this shit." He growled. I gave him a nod in agreement. "It was supposed to be a regular one-night hook-up."

"Ah, and now you're in love?" I couldn't help myself.

"Fuck you. Do you want me to talk or not?"

"Yes, please, go on!"

"We both kept coming back for more, and we're in a weird place. She's not interested in a relationship. We've spent a lot of time together, but we're just kind of stuck. She's stuck, and I'm trying to change that." He shrugged.

"Wow." I was shocked.

"What?" He scowled.

"Bennett Hayes is in love."

"Oh fuck off."

I laughed like an asshole as he hopped off the treadmill and walked away. I couldn't help myself, though, I was enjoying this new side of Bennett entirely too much, and it was my duty as best friend to torture him.

The rest of the day was pretty standard; we did our workout and meeting and had some time for lunch. I texted Eden to check in and kept up with the new apartment situation. Initially, we were all going to meet at the new place, but after my epiphany this morning, I tweaked the plans and had to make sure everyone was in the know, everyone except Eden.

Despite the time off, I was still in my groove and managed to score three points. Bennett was there to slam in two more points, giving us a win. We both were feeling pretty good after the media time and headed toward the apartment, my soon-to-be old apartment.

The second I stepped in the door and saw Nick fucking Ross standing in the kitchen talking with Hugh, I lost my good mood. My anger immediately boiled over, and before I knew it, I had him by the collar and slammed him up against the wall.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing here?" I growled.

"Whoa, man, what is your deal?" He had the nerve to smirk.

"Hugh, what the hell, man?" I heard Bennett behind me.

"You are my deal. You think you could do what you did and show your face around here without getting it rearranged?!" I spit in his face as I spoke.

"I didn't do anything. I have no idea what you're talking about, Bennett, Hugh, get this goon off me."

"You fucking sold lies about Eden, about my family. You hurt people I care about." I readjusted my hold, slamming him into the wall again.

"Eden's trash comes from trash and will always be trash." He sang out.

I didn't even feel it the first time my fist made contact with his jaw. I was so blind with rage. He kept yelling at me, but I heard none of it; I just kept going with my fist against his face. Bennett tried to no avail to get me off him, but I was stronger at the moment. Everyone was yelling at each other, trying to defuse the situation but really only making it worse.

I slipped up at one point, and Nick was able to get a hit on me, hitting my eye pretty good and busting the brow. It didn't take a second to get back and throw another blow to his face. I heard gasps and turned to see that Eden and Brynn had arrived. I hated for her to see me like this and this going on, but I still couldn't calm the burning rage.

After some choice words and another punch, Tate magically appeared and helped Bennett to pull me off, Nick. Hugh stepped in and held Hugh back from me as well. Both of us panting and Nick a bloody, swollen mess. As Hugh dragged Nick out the door, they stopped for a moment as Eden called out his name. Tate and Bennett loosened their hold on me, waiting to see what was happening. To our shock and surprise, Eden turned into something fierce. She spouted out some warning to Nick, and before I knew it, her hand was making contact with his face in the most epic bitch slap I'd ever seen.

Hugh continued out the door as the rest of us stood, mouths agape, staring at Eden.

"What?" She squeaked, holding her hand.

"Finally!! I knew she was in there!" Brynn cackled with delight.

"Badass." Tate beamed with pride, pulling her in for a hug.

I could feel the swelling in my hand; it was beginning to throb as a drop of blood dripped from my brow. But, it didn't stop me from going straight to my girl and pulling her into me. This whole situation was so fucked up, but I was proud of her for standing up for herself.

"Are you okay? Let me see your hand." I was worried that with the recent procedure, she'd hurt herself. The staff had instructed her to take it easy, and this was the opposite.

"It just stung for a minute, it'll probably bruise, but I'm fine." She smiled, reaching up to touch my brow as I flinched. "Are you okay? You were really going at him." She pouted.

"Rocky here just needs some ice and probably a bandage." Bennett grabbed at my shoulders, patting my back.

"This is so not what I was expecting." Tate sighed, leaning against the counter.

"Sorry, man, I just couldn't hold myself back." I ran my good hand through my hair just as Brynn handed me a paper towel for my brow. Bennett was already fixing up an ice bag. "This wasn't how I planned the evening to go." I shook my head.

"Let's all sit and compose ourselves after that mess," Tate spoke, leading the way to the couches.

"You don't think he'll call the cops or press charges, do you?" Brynn asked as we all sat quietly.

"No. He's stupid but not that stupid." Bennett answered. "Hugh will deal with him, and that should be the last we see of him." Bennett sounded more confident than I believed, but I would go with it for now.