16. Home

Reed

I landed in Georgia at a little over two am central time. I was exhausted after talking with the Coach and managers and then throwing my things together and rushing off to the airport. I was on borrowed time for this visit, then heading straight back home to bust ass to prepare for our season home opener. I grabbed my luggage and headed out to the arrivals area, where my Mom was waiting.

"My boy." She cooed as I climbed into the passenger seat.

"Where are the girls?" I questioned, looking into the backseat.

"Mrs. Jan is sitting at the house until I get back. They were asleep when I left." She explained, talking about our neighbor.

I leaned over, giving her a side hug and a quick peck on the cheek. She smiled over at me. Her eyes looked tired. I could tell she was worried for me, my sisters, and even for my Father.

"Any news, things still the same?" I asked as I rode along back to my childhood home.

"I haven't heard anything since we talked earlier. I'm glad you came, though." She glanced over at me.

"You didn't really give me a choice." I laughed.

"I just guided you a little." She teased.

When we got to the house, I grabbed my bag and followed Mom in. I went up to my bedroom while Mom said goodbye to Mrs. Jan. I got out a few of my things and then flopped back onto my tiny twin bed. I couldn't believe I started my day with Eden, and now here I was, two thousand miles away. Though my relationship with my Father wasn't in a good place, I was still worried about him and my sisters.

"I'm going to go get some sleep. You should try to as well. We'll head up to the hospital first thing." Mom interrupted my thoughts, standing in the doorway.

I stood, walking toward her. I wrapped her up in my arms, her familiar scent filling my nose. I don't care who you are or how old you are; a hug from your Mom always seems to help.

"Love ya, Mama. Get some rest." I kissed her forehead and then closed the door behind her. I crawled into bed, pulling out my phone. I knew it was late here and still late back in Seattle, but I wanted to check in with Eden.

Hey beautiful. I'm sorry I've been MIA. Unfortunately, a family emergency had me hopping a flight back to Georgia last minute.

I'm sorry it's late; I hope work was okay and you get lots of rest. I can't wait to see you again.

I laid my phone on the nightstand, turning over to pass out. Exhaustion washed over my body quickly. I slept soundly for a change, my body needing the rest. Unfortunately, it was interrupted a little earlier than I wanted when my sisters discovered I had arrived.

"Wake up!" Amy squealed, tapping at the side of my bed.

"He looks dead; is he dead?"

"No, he's just a heavy sleeper."

"He smells funky."

"We better go eat breakfast before he eats it all; he's huge." Lizzie squealed.

I tried to hide my laughter in the pillow as I listened to their back and forth. I couldn't take it any longer, though, and jumped up, growling and scaring the both of them.

"Reed!!" Amy whined.

"What?! You told me to wake up!" I yawned, scooting up in the bed.

"Mama is making waffles." Lizzie bragged.

"Just for me!" I grinned.

"I'm glad you're home." She replied, crawling up the bed and wrapping her little arms around my neck. "Missed you, bubba." My heart melted at her words.